crown molding question

Old 08-29-09, 02:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question crown molding question

I am going to be putting up crown molding in my bedroom and want to know if I can use liquid nails on it and then put some finishing nails in it to make sure it will hold. I am doing this totally myself and don't have a nail gun so it would be quite difficult to hold the piece of molding with one hand, hold a nail with a second hand and well... you see my problem now with the hammer... I don't want to cut it into small manageable pieces, doesn't seem like the thing to do. Is this an OK way to do this

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-09, 03:34 PM
B
I would use Loctite adhesive with the yellow cap. It holds very well. Then use hand driven finish nails (8d) into the studs and ceiling joist. On the side where there are no joist to nail the top into you can use 12d or 16d finish nails and angle them into the nailer, which should hang past the edge of the top plate by an inch or so. Before nail guns all trim was nailed up with no caulk or glue to hold it to the wall, this will work fine.

A trick you can use to help hold it up is to put a mark at the bottom of the crown on the wall and drive a nail into the stud letting it stick out a little, then rest one end of the crown on it while you position the other. When finished remove the nail and caulk the hole when caulking the crown to the wall.

Good luck,

Bill

Old 08-29-09, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You can also predrill (using a naill with the head cut off) at the stud points, then tap the nails in until the tips just protrude. Put it in place and tap them in like normal. The Loctite Grab-it does work well..but I pity the person who has to take it down.

Old 08-29-09, 03:47 PM
B
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
The Loctite Grab-it does work well..but I pity the person who has to take it down.
That's funny because that is where I first came into contact with it! I had to take down some large cove molding in a basement where the trimmer used Loctite and stitch nails to install it because of metal framing. It came down in pieces.

Bill

Old 08-29-09, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
And a bunch of wall repair required I bet? Adhesive has its uses...

Old 08-29-09, 06:53 PM
M
Thanks for the replies! I bought the stupid molding in June and kept putting off doing this becuase of that problem. But as far as anyone having to take it down? Well, I say to them deal with it
I think I'll go with that adhesive you mentioned Bill, thanks a bunch. I never thought about the sides and having to use longer nails. I've recently gotten interested in carpentry and home improvement and I see there is still a lot to learn. But I'm determined

Old 08-30-09, 01:32 PM
B
No problem marianne, good luck with it.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
And a bunch of wall repair required I bet? Adhesive has its uses...
I did not have much wall repair, because I installed new pre-finished cherry crown that was larger than the cove.

Bill

Old 08-31-09, 01:57 PM
H
No Nail-gun

You need to nail it not just glue it... Stick a finish nail in your drill and use it as a bit. Line up your molding; hold it with clamps and start with the center. Tap the finish nail in the hole with a hammer and finish it with a center punch. Work yourself out to the edges and call it good.

Old 08-31-09, 02:29 PM
B
Originally Posted by html_guy View Post
"hold it with clamps"
I'd be interested in how you do this. Maybe I'll learn something new.

Bill

Old 08-31-09, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
And I never heard of installing crown starting at the center....who holds the ends on a 12' piece?

Old 08-31-09, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 639 Votes on 591 Posts
Clamps probably equals "3rd Hand" poles, or a home made jig made from a pole and modified caulking gun. The 3rd hand poles are handy for doing crown by yourself.

Old 08-31-09, 04:32 PM
H
Guess Nobody works alone anymore

So you guys have never used gripper clamps on cabinet crown or pole clamps for ceiling crown when working alone on a 12', 16' or 2o' crown installation. Guess I am unique because I always work alone.

Old 08-31-09, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh..cabinets are one thing..yes I've used clamps to help hold then...

But for longer stuff, I always had someone to help. X knew what you were talking about. I still never worked from the center though...

Hey..if it works for you..it works..right? I'm sure I've done things a Pro would say ....WTF?

Old 08-31-09, 05:47 PM
H
I always use a gun anyways; I did see a pro one time use two-sided tape to hold the crown in place. Is said to myself WTF; he did not want nail holes. It was great for about three days then it all came crashing down.

Old 08-31-09, 06:03 PM
B
Originally Posted by html_guy View Post
I always use a gun anyways; I did see a pro one time use two-sided tape to hold the crown in place. Is said to myself WTF; he did not want nail holes. It was great for about three days then it all came crashing down.
Anyone who used double sided tape to install crown molding is no "pro" in my mind.

Bill