Pre-Built Stair Impossible!

Old 08-29-09, 10:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Pre-Built Stair Impossible!

I'm going to build some basement stairs and my slab height is making a pre-built stair impossible, any ideas? Thanks, Stairs1237

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-09, 03:44 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Stairs can be a simple set of runners with treads or a work of art. A friend in a very expensive home described his soon to be new stair case, low bid at that time was over $75,000----- that's just the stairs and installation, no framing, drywall, or other.

So, what do you have in mind? Even though I have built many sets of stairs, I always start with a piece of paper. A cross section of the rise allows you to sketch in every little detail so your final cutting pattern will yield the proper rise and run for every step.

If you would like to give us all of the measurements, there are many on the forum to help you lay it out.

GL
Bud

Old 08-30-09, 08:10 AM
S
Basement Stairs

Since slab heights are unpredictable, basement stairs are usually built to customized heights. If you're building stairs yourself , I often use a cost effective, adjustable stair bracket system- which works well especially in this situation. It's easy to install and strong. See EZ Stairs.
How To Build Stairs | interior stairs, deck stairs, concrete stairs- Make it Easy With EZ Stairs.

Old 08-30-09, 02:03 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Stairs

Tell us the vertical distance (total rise) from the basement floor to the finished floor above and the size of the stairwell opening so we can work out rise and run dimensions for custom cut stringers.

Old 08-30-09, 04:40 PM
J
ALL stairs are custom. No two houses will be exactly the same, that is why they are usually built on site. But prebuilt stairs are done all the time, as suggested by the others. Once you know the hole they must fit, anything is possible from plain jane to ultra $$$$$. People on a recent "This Old House" project found a used iron circular stair set to fit their needs.

Old 08-30-09, 08:08 PM
check local codes for the minimum run and rise also.