Question about drilling small holes in granite

Old 09-01-09, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about drilling small holes in granite

First let me give you a description of what i'm trying to do, followed by my question at the end:

I need to drill three equally spaced holes through a 1.25" thick piece of granite. I'll probably use a 1'8" or 3'16" diamond drill bit.

The granite is 2.75" wide x 22" long.

This strip of granite will be underneath a sanding block that I made out of red oak.
I'm going to epoxy the granite to the wood, but I would like to run some wood screws through the granite for extra support.

I don't have experience with granite, so my question is, will the holes make the granite too weak to where it might crack easily?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You won't need the screws if you use a good epoxy. If you do decide to do it, I would use a drill press with ceramic bits (you may need more than one) and a spray bottle to keep it cool. If you followed me, that entails three hands unless you clamp your granite firmly to the press plate. IMO, I wouldn't bother unless the epoxy gives way, and I doubt a good epoxy would.

Old 09-01-09, 01:22 PM
Ok, that sounds good. I'm using Loctite 60 minute epoxy, so I'm guessing that should be pretty strong stuff, thanks.

Old 09-01-09, 03:55 PM
J
A good masonary bit and hammer drill, go slowly, cool with water. But you don't have to go all the way thru. And don't use wood screws. Use well nuts or similar(for use in granite/solid surface), and machine screws. They are used in granite all the time for dishwasher screws and sometimes for sink mounting.

Old 09-01-09, 06:58 PM
Bill, the holes would have to go all the way through the granite. There's a finished piece of oak railing that completely covers the top of the granite, that's 3" thick.

But nonetheless, I think i'm going to just go ahead and use a liberal coating of epoxy.
That should easily hold the slight weight of this small strip of granite.