What's Best way to cut faux marble vanity top?

Old 09-22-09, 11:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What's Best way to cut faux marble vanity top?

I need to remove the marblelux, the one piece cast faux marble top that has the sink moulded in - late 70's style. It's 66" long, and must have been built into the Bathroom. I need to cut at least 1 - 2 " off one end to get the dang thing out.
So, whats the best way, best tool, best idea on how to "TRIM" this puppy so I can get it out. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I guess you don't plan on using it again? You could probably bust it with a sledge hammer. An angle grinder with a masonly blade will also do it...but be prepared for lots of dust!

Eye/face protection in both cases, good dust mask in the second

Old 09-22-09, 01:54 PM
You won't even need a sledge hammer. A couple of good whacks around the center with an ordinary hammer should crack it in half so you can get it out. It's probably adhered to the vanity with adhesive as well.

Wear safety goggles, and be very careful if there is a wall mounted mirror behind it if you want to save it. You'll probably need to do wall repairs after you get it out - no matter what you do.

Old 09-22-09, 03:02 PM
M
Whacking it, huh?

I was hoping there was something with a little more finesse. There is a large 3-way mirror about 2 " above the vanity top. This needs to be raised ~ 7" in the remodel, so maybe we need to think about taking that down first. Was hoping to have the cabinet out of the way to get a better grip on that sucker.

I might try cutting a groove(scoring line) near one end with a dremel tool and see if I can crack it along that.

Thanks for the input.