Green products are they worth the price

Old 09-30-09, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green products are they worth the price

Would like to know if buying "Green" is really an economical way to go on flooring (laminates) or is it all hype to make consumers feel like they are doing their part in carbon print reduction? Looking to replace my flooring in my family room and I see many companies and web sites pushing "green products". Pricing is higher for the "green" materials. Want to know what others impressions are regarding this before I decide.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 12:52 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
No experience with green flooring, but every time I run into a green product that I know something about, it must be a feel good solution, because it is rarely a better price. Whatever sells best, whether that's a caveman, a swimsuit, or a green image.

To be fair, there have been new products developed that are a better price, a better produce, and qualify for green. But, unfortunately, even when they make a product better and cheeper, because it is green, they sell it for more.

IMHO

If you plan on selling soon, maybe you will recover more because it IS green.

Bud

Old 09-30-09, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
About the only "green" flooring I am familiar with is bamboo. Since it is plantation grown and grows so fast, it can be harvested, made into wood flooring and grow another crop before you get it installed.
My wife is an avid organic gardener, and insists on buying organic stuff when we grocery shop. Organic carrots cost nearly twice the regular ones. I do not intend to subsidize anything by buying their products when it costs less to grow them, costs less to harvest and market them. Where's the savings? I'd pay a few cents more, but not twice the price. Sorry. Al Gore can have that one.

Old 09-30-09, 03:23 PM
J
"Green" seems to get attached to so many things that don't have anything to do with the ecology, it drives me nuts. Most laminate floors are hardboard underlayment, which is recylced wood chips, and plastic, which may or may not be from a recycled source. But i don't understand any "green" label attached to these products. If it makes you feel better buy it.

Old 10-01-09, 09:34 AM
W
Green attached to a building product is a lot like organic attached to produce. What does it mean?

Exactly what does it take to qualify as green? Who sets the standard for green/organic?

The only difference I can see is in the price.