Are these boxed beams too much weight?

Old 10-30-09, 12:58 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are these boxed beams too much weight?

I am planning on building boxed b eams for my family room ceiling. The ceiling is vaulted a-frame. I plan on running one beam down the apex of the ceiling. I would like to do run 2x8's as the anchors ans screw 1X12 for the sides of the box and 1X8 to complete the bottom of the "U". The length of the ceiling is 24 feet. I then plan to run three beams perpendicular to the center beam which would be a bit smaller. 2x8 for the anchor to the ceiling, 1x10,s for the sides and a 1x8 for the base of the "u" Is this too much weight for the ceiling joists?

Old 10-30-09, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! One thing to consider is where you will be locating this 2x8. You will have to hit dead on a rafter as the sheetrock (no matter what fastener is used) won't hold the weight. The rafter system will probably hold the beam weight if attached securely, not with nails, but with 1/4" lag screws. You don't want this thing releasing during a party.
A 1x12 will make a very obtrusive beam! Is there any way you can reduce the sides, and possibly the width to a more reasonable size? You may learn to hate it if it is too big. After all, you are only putting it up for accent, not a focal point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: