Making bentwood multilam beams

Old 11-01-09, 02:02 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making bentwood multilam beams

I am wanting to make bentwood multilam beams for use outdoors (not exposed to direct percipitation). Does anyone have suggestions regarding glues, wood species, screws, etc.?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-09, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just out of curiosity why would you want to go to all the trouble and expense to make them when you can buy them ready to go. Or are you talking bent beams?

Old 11-01-09, 07:09 PM
O
Bent beams

I'm looking to make curved laminate beams for architectural interest. They don't have to be mechanically significant (load bearing), but more decorative.

Actually I just found a large amount of information about the use of anhydrous amonia for the bending process. Unlike water, steam, or mechanical methods, the bend doesn't loose it's shape when moisture is reintroduced. The wood also continues to take stain, so I'm assuming adhesives must still work the same when gluing up the laminated layers. So now my focus is on adhesing the laminates together, and sealing - what adhesives and/or fasteners to use.

Old 11-01-09, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could probably use the newer polyethylene glues such as gorilla glue. It has to have one surface moist to begin with, as it only works in the presence of water. How thick do you want your beams to be, and how tall? May as well know overall length, too. More on fasteners after that info is made available.

Old 11-01-09, 08:46 PM
O
Bentwood beams

The beams would be about 4" wide, and up to 1' tall, and perhaps about 14' long. Each laminate would be soaked in anhydrous ammonia and formed and dried. Each surface could be soaked before glue application, so a glue like that is a strong possibility. I want to make sure that the glue can withstand weather and sun, if possible.

Old 11-09-09, 02:07 AM
L
laminating wood adhesive

Hi,

there is only one adhesive to use when you are laminating wood. use west end epoxy (west system.com). this is a 2 part epoxy that is waterproof, blisterproof, does not shrink, sandable and gap filling. i have used it for twenty years in my furniture shop where i bend handrails and other architectural millwork. It has never failed me.

good luck

Old 11-09-09, 03:57 PM
O
Great!

Hello Lokahi,
Thank you!!! I knew I'd attract the interest of an actual craftsman! Tanks again for the tip - I'll check it out.

Tom