Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried cutting the ikea wood countertops at an angle?

Old 11-03-09, 04:08 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi: My countertops are not a 90 degree but a shaped cut. It has a small cabinet on the left, another small cabinet at a 45degree, next to a small cabinet running straight to form the 45 degree corner instead of a traditional L shape corner. Think I can trace the pattern with the old top and cut it in and sand and finish the raw exposed edge? I also have a cut on the back side for the sewer vent pipe to the roof. Not sure how the ikea butcherblock is joined together. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 05:58 PM
C
Before I scribed a line and cut, I think i would try it on a couple test pieces before I stated on the original tops you want to mate. Get a piece of plywood and make the scribe line from the original top..cut and work for a fit and see what you have to do to make a good fit between the two tops.
Don't know about your tops but you might could mirror match the two top pieces with a router. I do it often with solid surface tops. If you don't understand and no one jumps in here and tells you how or has a better solution pm me and I'll try to explain to you.

Old 11-18-09, 05:11 AM
F
Thank You. Got one of 3 countertops in (8' x 26"). Tackling the 8' straight sink run with an additional cutout for the sewer stack column today. Then tomorrow will do the 3rd top with the scribed cut. Will be matching a 39" deep x 3'wide top to a straight 8' x 26" butcher block. My wife found a great food grade oil rub for the butcher block. Have to oil them up every few days for about a month and then twice a year. Put on 3 coats the first night we put the first top in and it soaked in overnight and really gave it a rich finish.