Help!!

Old 11-06-09, 02:28 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help!!

Sometimes I create my own problems. I just completed a renovation on a house that is 140 years old. Among many of my great ideas during the process was suggesting to the owner to make a hidden door. The door is located on a wall with original raised paneling and they were planning on instlling a "regular" door. So, my idea was to build a door to match the existing trim but it had to be outwing due to limited space inside the room. It looks very cool completed. When I finished there was one problem. Latching...Since the door is hidden it cant have a handle. It also has to close and stay closed because on the other side is a powder room. I ordered a simple mechanical latch that work like this...You push the door and it pops open. Not a huge pop but enough to grab the edge and pull it open. The hardware has broken several times since installation and I keep replacing it. It happened again today...So, my question...Does anyone know of a hidden door latch that will work on an outswing door????

As long as you learn from your mistakes it adds to the adventure. I learned that there is a reason hidden doors are inswing.

Thanks for any suggestions..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-09, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
The hidden doors I have worked on have used a magnetic push-latch, kind of like what you have on a glass entertainment center door, or on a mirrored medicine cabinet.

Old 11-06-09, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ditto on Sleeper's comment. Check with Rockler's. They have an abundant group of latches like that.

Old 11-06-09, 05:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just checked Rockler. The catch needs to spring open when pushed and I didn't see anything like that. Any other sources that you know of??

Old 11-06-09, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
try Rockler part #28431 or #30189. They both spring open as described above.