Wood on concrete..more options!

Old 11-24-09, 09:39 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood on concrete..more options!

Hello;

Here is my initial post, and I thank all of you who responded:

I am building, (for lack of a better term) ,a 'stage'in my basement, 8 feet by 8 feet and 1 foot high. I am using [/I]enginnerred TJI joists with 5/8 inch plywood ontop.

The joist will sit directly on the floor...now here is my question.

The basement is a cement floor covered with carpet, (no subfloor). I have been told that, If I put the wood directly on the carpet...the wood will 'wick' moisture from the cement floor (through the foam underlay and carpet fibers).

They are telling me I have to rip up the carpet and put a vapor barrier down..with some sort of underlay...to prevent this.

The above has been answered to my satisfaction, so here is problem # two;

I need another option rather than lifting up the carpet, (as my wife has shared her input). If I place the wood on the carpet, can I place something under the 'wood' to prevent any moisture problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-09, 12:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is an expensive underlay that's used under those new laminate floors. I don't remember the name but it's bright red. You'll see it at Home Cheapo.

Do you mind telling us why your wife doesn't want to remove the carpet? BTW, what kind of shows are you going to do on the stage?

Old 11-24-09, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pulpo! Some things shouldn't be asked....lol.

I was thinking the same thing about the underlay..or heck..just use the 6" foam they use on sill plates. Or you could even use door and window wrap, then trim the edges..but that might discolor the carpet over time.

Hey..Mach..how can this be an initial post..I see 15 ...

Old 11-29-09, 08:05 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
stage

How about using some screw in adjustable feet to keep the stage slightly off the floor?This would allow air circulation under the stage where otherwise it would be a moisture trap area.