Tying baseboard into stair skirtboard

Old 11-28-09, 07:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tying baseboard into stair skirtboard

Yeah I have been installing new baseboard in my home and I have come to a bit of a dilema. If I show you pictures of what I mean you should see what I am talking about. The old stock baseboard was cut to tie into the stair skirtboard with a fancy cut. The skirtboard was also cut to meet the old baseboard to make it clean looking. My question is I have wider baseboard that I have been installing that also has a profile on it. In a new room I just did over which will also have a new rug I raised the new baseboard up a 1/4" so when they put the rug in the majority of the baseboard will be showing. I also have hardwood and tile in the kitchen and dining room that I placed the baseboard right on top. My dilema at the top of the stairs is how do I tie the new baseboard into the stair skirtboards to make it look like a clean professional look. I could put the new baseboard down to the floor with raising it up a 1/4" and then cut off the ends of the stair skirtboards flush with the wall and then run the baseboard flush with the skirtboard but then the baseboard will be covered with the new rug more than I would want and would look different with the rest of the rooms. If I raise the new baseboard up a 1/4" then if I try to tie it into the skirtboard it will be sitting up higher than the skirtboard and then what do I do? LOL Here are some pictures I took. Picture 1 shows the old baseboard tied into the skirtboard.
Picture 2 shows the new baseboard next to the skirtboard showing it is flush at the top if I were to lower the baseboard right to the floor.
Picture 3 shows the new baseboard raised up a 1/4" showing how much higher the baseboard is than the skirtboard making it difficult to figure out how to tie the end of the baseboard to the skirtboard.

Forgive the blurriness of the pictures when zoomed in.
Also I hope someone know's exactly the situation I am talking about because I just explained this pretty badly. LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-09, 07:57 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Old 11-30-09, 01:57 PM
S
I don't think baseboard corner posts would look very good at the top of a stair landing.

Old 11-30-09, 02:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes. Too bad the pictures are that blurry. You could reshoot the pics and paste again.

There are only so many possibilities you can do.

I did such a job(installed oak skirtboard, when new oak stair treads were installed) a couple years ago, and it wound up (by design, not luck) so the peak of the skirtboard, at the top of the stairs, lined up to the top of the baseboard.

Hopefully your skirtboard is high enough. If it were too high, you then could cut the skirtboard on the level height with the top of the baseboard.

If this is to your advantage, you can always rip some off the bottom of the baseboard if that were to help your situation. You just have to keep in mind that if you alter the height of the baseboard, that if it continues on to a mitre, intersecting adjacent baseboard, then THAT one would have to be changed also, to match....,...at least up to a door frame, which would be a termination point.

Old 12-01-09, 02:56 AM
S
I assume I will have to put a return on the baseboard so you dont see the cut end of the baseboard be cause there is a profile gap on the back of the baseboard. I don't know the technical term for that.

Old 12-01-09, 02:17 PM
E
What do you have - that kind of baseboard that is full width top and bottom, and not full thickness in the middle area? It is quite common to see such mitres of the baseboard, at the top of stairs, especially when there is no skirtboard, and the baseboard terminates at the top step.

It be neat if you'd get us more pics that aren't blurry.

Old 12-01-09, 03:49 PM
S
Ok. Here are somemore pics. I had to setup a tripod to take these upclose pics halfway decent lol. Not easy to take clear pics with this cam for some reason. You should be able to see what I am talking about from these. I put the baseboard next to the skirtboard to show you how it would look if the baseboard was all the way to the floor because I haven't taken out that rug yet because I am going to paint the wall. Pic 19 shows the profile of the baseboard and the gap I was talking about at the back of it. Should I put a return on the end of that to cover it up if I wanna go that route?

Old 12-01-09, 04:40 PM
E
You plan to replace the flat baseboard currently in the carpeted hall with the stuff you have sitting across the top of the steps? And it is all to be painted white? No problem there. I thought we were dealing with fine oak-finish trim work here. You can now do ANYTHING if what I said is the case. Just fill it and paint it. Nobody will know.

You can add onto the existing bi-sect joint skirtboard at the top of the stairs, or...... remove it, and make a new one longer, so you can miter the skirtboard/new basetrim intersect joint. And then grind a curve in the skirtboard's top corner to match that curve in the new baseboard.

Old 12-03-09, 12:59 AM
S
Send me a picture of what your describing would be nice. LOL

Old 12-06-09, 02:20 PM
S
If it was up to me which it's not. I would add onto the skirtboard. My Dad overruled me on that cause he is a pain lol. What if I cut a straight cut on the end of the skirtboard flush with the wall. Then ran my baseboard flush with the skirtboard and have a mitred return piece glued on the end of the baseboard. Would that look bad?

Old 12-06-09, 04:09 PM
D
I think that is the best solution for what you have. The new baseboard isn't very tall. If it was a bit taller, I would suggest running it so you could cut the profile off the top of the baseboard and install that on the skirt board of the stair.

Old 12-07-09, 04:01 PM
S
Are you talking about cutting the top of the baseboard and run it all the way up the length of the stairs? Like a quarter round piece? If so that is way more work than I wanna do lol. That would require wasting alot of baseboard just to cut the top profile off.

Old 12-07-09, 05:33 PM
D
Yes, that is what I meant. However, your baseboard isn't tall enough to line up.