Swing arm for mounting TV on Wall

Old 12-02-09, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Swing arm for mounting TV on Wall

How should I install a swing arm mounting bracket to hold a TV on the wall at a place between studs? Can I get by with using large mollies or other anchors? If so, what kind do you recommend? If not, how should I bridge between the studs and how do I connect the bridging to metal studs?

Background info: Wall is dry-wall with U-shaped metal studs, not wood. TV is small, only weighs 11 lbs. Bracket weighs about 5 lbs. Swing arm extends 16". Wall bracket of the mounting has holes for two large screws, one 6" above the other.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Without a doubt, it can't be mounted without proper support, and sheetrock offers no support. Even in metal studs, I recommend beefing it up using a wood stud insert into the channel. If you have access to the area behind the studs, by all means, install a perlin or two to capture the weight. No matter how little the tv and stand weigh, multiply it 10 times or more by the time you put the weight on the end of the arm. Levers and fulcrums multiply the advantage.

Old 12-03-09, 11:54 AM
Thanks Chandler. I expected that the drywall would not be strong enough but asked because the mounting mechanism that I bought came with large plastic anchors. So my question then, is how best to put in that purlin or add some other brace. I cannot get to the other side of the wall. Is there a type of mounting brace that can be inserted between the metal studs without making too big a hole in the drywall? If I decide to put up a piece of plywood on top of the wall from stud to stud, how thick would the plywood have to be? Is there something less intrusive looking than plywood?

Old 12-03-09, 01:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What I have done is cut an opening in the sheet rock 7-5/8" high and the width of the space between the studs. The installed a 2X2 with 1/4' sheet metal screws to the sides of the studs. Pre drill a 1/4" clearance hole in the 2X2 and use self drilling hex head screws. Install with an electric drill. Place the 2X2s 1-5/8" back from the sheet rock. Now install a 2X8 between the studs and secure to the 2X2s with 1/4" lag screws.

The 2X8 should be flush with the back of the Sheetrock, Make a hole in the sheet rock so the screw head rests against the 2X8. If the 'U" of the metal stud is facing into the hoke the 2X8 would go into the channel and lag screw through the stud face to the 2X2.

Replace the Sheetrock and patch. If you are lucky you can reuse the piece you cut out. Use lag screws not Sheetrock screws to fasten the 2X8 to the 2X2s. Lag screws have a greater shear strength.

Old 12-03-09, 02:59 PM
I think I would go with Ray's suggestion as just attaching a surface mounted board to the metal studs you will be only relying on the thin edge of the stud to hold it all up. In our nursery at church we were lucky as the wall backed up to a closet. I just mounted a 2x10 to the wall across 2 metal studs and a 1x8 on the front side, then ran carriage bolts from the tv mount through the wall into the 2x10. Rugrats can hang from that sucker!!

Old 12-04-09, 11:39 AM
Thanks, guys. I was hoping not to have to cut into the wall and then repair it, but you convinced me I must.

Old 12-04-09, 12:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And please ignore my typos in my post. The stupid edit timeout seems designed to make people look like idiots if they don't discover their errors quickly.

Old 12-04-09, 01:52 PM
I just thought you were having a bad hair day. Yeah if you make a mistake you're up against a clock to correct them. Gotta wait 60 more seconds so I thought I would type something useless and of absolutely no value to the OP. There. It seems if you don't write a dissertation as an answer you get in the penalty box, when short ones will suffice. Time's up.