Cutting Crown Molding to Proper Length

Old 12-04-09, 09:37 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Crown Molding to Proper Length

Hello,

I am installing crown molding in my living room. My question concerns the proper length of a piece of molding with a miter cut on both ends. How do you measure the piece with miters on both ends and cut it to the proper length? For example, I want a 60" piece cut with a miter on both ends. How do I measure and cut to get exactly 60"?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-09, 10:11 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Mitre Cuts

The crown moulding has a profile. Measure at the same point of the profile on both ends.

Old 12-04-09, 12:04 PM
W
Thanks Wirepuller but I'm not sure what you mean. What do you mean by the profile?

Old 12-04-09, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
How are you cutting the crown? With a power miter saw? Does it have 33 degree and 31.6 degree detents on it? Are you cutting it upside down and backwards (old school)? To help clarify, Ken mentioned measuring the same distance on the profile of the crown. If your crown is on an inside corner on both ends, measure the bottom of the crown at each end to your desired length and cut back on the crown.

Old 12-04-09, 03:11 PM
W
I'm using a miter saw, cutting it in position. Whenever I cut a miter on both ends, the piece is coming up short. THe corners are fine, just the overall length is difficult to get right when you are cutting miters on both ends. I have to guess on where to start the miter cuts. Does that make sense?

Old 12-04-09, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Sounds like you are not putting it upside down when you cut it. The back fence on the miter saw is like the wall, the table of the saw is like the ceiling. When held that way on the saw, you hook your tape measure on the point that is facing up on the left (which will be the bottom / right side of the piece once it is turned right side up). Measure over to the right side, mark your measurement, turn your saw to the opposite miter, and cut.

Old 12-04-09, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you set the saw at the detent at 33 degrees left or right and the bevel at 31.8 degrees right or left, you can lay your crown flat on the table, and depending on whether your are cutting inside or outside miters, the top will go against the fence. Just another way of doing it. Start your cut on the long measurement in order to get the length right. The short measurement will default at the angle needed.

Old 12-04-09, 08:34 PM
W
I have the molding positioned correctly (bottom on the fence). thanks for the replies and help

Old 12-04-09, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
I have to guess on where to start the miter cuts. Does that make sense?
I think I understand. When you hook your tape measure on the sharp point of the miter (for example, on the left), mark where your other miter will be on the back side of the crown on the right. Transfer that line around to the bottom edge of the crown moulding (which is actually facing up) so you can see it. And when you cut, be sure you leave the line! It's better to cut it three times and have it be too long than to cut it once and have it be too short. Crown moulding is expensive enough the way it is.

Old 12-05-09, 07:15 AM
W
Thanks Xsleeper. I'll practice on a few scrap pieces before I tackler the good stuff. Thanks for the help.