Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

There's demand for these crates - does anyone make them?

Old 12-19-09, 09:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

http://lakewoodcolorado.net/test/Who...0crate%202.jpg

These are display crates at Whole Foods. I noticed them there one day last year and immediately wanted to buy one! They'd be perfect for our work, which involves carrying 8 1/2 x 11 documents around. We've been having to use cardboard boxes and they dont last long.

The same day I asked Whole Foods if they sell them, another woman did at the same time, she wanted one too.

But they wont and I'm not a carpenter so I cant make them either.

Would they be hard for a carpenter to make and sell, without the logo of course?

Just needs to be sturdy wood and well-built so it lasts a year or two of kicking around, in and out of the car and house.

Might be a product you could make some money at.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 06:15 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Crates

These would not be difficult to make.

Have thought about plastic crates?

Old 12-20-09, 09:27 AM
S
Try looking at catalog/online/mail order companies that sell organizing products,household items,office supplies,interior decorating items and so forth.Things like this are around but you have to check various companies and see what they have plus because often these are imported the availability varies.

I have similar boxes that I've had for years.Don't ask me where I got them because I don't remember but they are not that different from the box in the picture.

I would bet WFs is buying them and having logos put on from a company that sells them without the logos if you can find it.That said there are others like it around.

Old 12-20-09, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Any High School woodshop (do they still have those?) class could make 30 of those in a couple of days. Or at least something very very similar....

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-20-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-20-09, 10:27 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Correction

Have thought about plastic crates?
This should read "Have you thought about plastic crates?" Sorry about the typo.

Old 12-20-09, 10:58 AM
M
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Try looking at catalog/online/mail order companies that sell organizing products,household items,office supplies,interior decorating items and so forth.Things like this are around but you have to check various companies and see what they have plus because often these are imported the availability varies.

I have similar boxes that I've had for years.Don't ask me where I got them because I don't remember but they are not that different from the box in the picture.

I would bet WFs is buying them and having logos put on from a company that sells them without the logos if you can find it.That said there are others like it around.
That's the hard part, I havent been able to find where they buy them, or anything like them.

Old 12-20-09, 11:23 AM
S
Old 12-20-09, 12:04 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
here you go. 3rd item down

Countryline

Old 12-20-09, 12:43 PM
M
Thanks. Too bad they arent the size we need though, but at least I have some ideas where and how to search now. The cardboard box we have, is 14"w x 8"d x 6" tall.

Old 12-20-09, 12:46 PM
M
Originally Posted by nap View Post

Countryline

YES! THANK YOU! Looks like that will work great!

Old 03-04-10, 01:05 PM
G
crates

FYI-
Really great crates that are very solid and beautiful can be purchased through a company called Crate Farm - they have higher quality crates though - not raw pine ones that are imported

Old 03-04-10, 01:29 PM
M
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
This should read "Have you thought about plastic crates?" Sorry about the typo.
All the plastic crates I've seen have holes in the sides. We need the crate to hold paper clips as well as papers, so the sides need to be closed.

Old 03-04-10, 01:33 PM
M
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post

Yes I've tried all that. We even bought one from Countryline
The third one down there, which looked just right, but it turned out to be much heavier than the ones at Whole Foods.

Meanwhile, Whole Foods removed them from their displays, probably because so many people wanted to buy one, and they're probably sitting in warehouses somewhere now.

Old 03-04-10, 01:36 PM
M
Originally Posted by nap View Post

Countryline

Per my other post just now, we bought one and it's the right size but too thick and heavy for putting on my partner's lap full of documents while driving. <sigh>

Old 03-05-10, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
If you lived a little closer I could custom build one for you to your specs.

Old 03-05-10, 09:46 PM
I don't think your partner should be driving with a crate on his/hers lap. Just kidding. You need a crafty friend with some tools. I always check out a persons tools before they can become my friend.. Really if you are ever in Southern New Mexico I would make them for you, for the cost of the wood.

Last edited by wsaend; 03-05-10 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add something
Old 03-05-10, 10:09 PM
M
Originally Posted by wsaend View Post
I don't think your partner should be driving with a crate on his/hers lap. Just kidding. You need a crafty friend with some tools. I always check out a persons tools before they can become my friend.. Really if you are ever in Southern New Mexico I would make them for you, for the cost of the wood.
Well that's nice of you, but the last time I was down that way, was around 1992.

If I could just get Whole Foods to sell me one...

Meanwhile we're stuck with cardboard boxes...

Old 03-05-10, 11:39 PM
Good luck with the crate. It's definately an apple crate, well most likely.

GARRYOWEN

Old 03-06-10, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
The crate you posted looks pretty easy to make. Maybe try posting an ad someplace (local wood working store, wood shop) to see if you can find somebody to build one.

Or with just some minor tools you could build one your self! This is the DIY forum you know!

Old 03-08-10, 07:45 AM
G
Originally Posted by Melissa2009B View Post
Per my other post just now, we bought one and it's the right size but too thick and heavy for putting on my partner's lap full of documents while driving. <sigh>
The crate you saw at Whole Foods came from that company called CRATE FARM - they provide them with those crates, they sell wholesale (large volumes I think), but you could check on it.

Old 03-09-10, 04:11 PM
M
Originally Posted by greenwillow2 View Post
The crate you saw at Whole Foods came from that company called CRATE FARM - they provide them with those crates, they sell wholesale (large volumes I think), but you could check on it.
Thanks! I contacted them and they said they sell them, but only by the dozen right now. But in a month or so, they plan on setting up individual sales.