Miter Saw Question

Old 01-08-10, 02:03 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Miter Saw Question

I am replacing some 7-1/2" base molding in my 1902 house and my current 12" Dewalt miter saw is not big enough to miter this. I tried bevel cutting a couple, but that is over the capacity of this saw. I am considering replacing with a 10 or 12" Makita slide compound miter saw, but neither of these are rated to miter more than about 5-1/2". It looks like I could put a 2-3" spacing block against the fence, thus moving the workpiece away from the fence and this would increase the height that I could miter. Am I nuts??? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are going to replace the saw, consider the Ridgid remote motor saw. I have one and cut tall moldings all day long. The motor is set above the blade body and it is belt driven with a laser.
Don't defeat the saw's built in devices, check out other saws that would do what you want.

Old 01-08-10, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Lay it flat and use the tilt for the motor or am I missing something? I can miter to about 9" that way.

Old 01-08-10, 02:54 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thanks to both..

I'll consider the Ridgid, but I have had superb luck with Makita. Maybe it's like Chevys and Fords. As to laying the workpiece flat and tilting, I call that a bevel cut as opposed to a miter. I can do it with my current Dewalt, but it generates so much side force that it is hard to hold the workpiece. I think the slide saws probably make a much smoother bevel cut than my chop saw. It may just be me, but I can make much more accurate miter cuts than bevel.

Old 01-08-10, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Right, had a brain fart on terminology there. FWIW I have a 12" Rigid that I upgraded to from a Craftsman 10" last year. Among other things it has a nice hold-down for the work piece, but I suspect cutting the angle that way may not be as clean and accurate as the miter cut. Might have to grab a wide piece of scrap wood and experiment just for giggles.