Cleats?

Old 01-12-10, 07:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cleats?

Does anyone have experience with cleats, which according to a book I have are horizontal strips of wood along a wall to facilitate hanging cabinets and stuff and moving them around as needed and not being limited to stud locations. Not clear from the illustration though whether the author is talking about 1x or 2x lumber.

This is for a garage/shop and that's just what I want - flexibility. For hanging heavy objects like cabinets, shelves, and big hooks for yard power tools and brackets for storing lumber, will I get enough bite with screws in 1x lumber (and will it deflect out with 16" OC framing), or do I need 2x?

Old 01-12-10, 10:45 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I like covering the area with 3/4" plywood. That gives me the ultimate in flexibility and I have never had issues with anything pulling off the wall.

Bud

Old 01-13-10, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you're looking for something just to hang rakes and shovels from, you can probably use 1x lumber, installed at the stud locations. Now you can hang whatever type hanger you want between without regard to the stud location. I'm like Bud, however, a sheet of plywood on the wall, secured at the stud locations will give you all the hanging room you will need, for long items, as well as smaller items like cutters, or screw boxes, etc.

Old 01-13-10, 05:14 AM
S
It's already drywalled and will be air conditioned (s. Florida), plus I was trying to keep it decent-looking . . . plus the expense of plywood. 1x or 2x, it would be attached with two deep screws at studs. Would 1x hold cabinets? That would mean only 3/4" penetration with screws.

What length of screws are usually used for hanging cabinets on framing through drywall?

Old 01-14-10, 05:12 AM
S
Here's an article on strong cleats for hanging cabinets: Making a French Cleat - NewWoodworker.com LLC.

Old 01-14-10, 01:00 PM
I like using these "French" cleats as they are called. Especially, as I have mentioned before, hanging free standing headboards in bedrooms, or shop cabinets. Gives a lot of flexibility. You can cut the cleat from one piece of wood and invert the pieces to accommodate your work.

Old 01-14-10, 03:19 PM
E
[QUOTE=suobs;1678}
What length of screws are usually used for hanging cabinets on framing through drywall?[/QUOTE]

I THINK they are 2 1/2 inches, but don't quote me. They also come with extra large flat-backed rounded heads, to help carry the load, when going through those elcheapo factory-made cabinets. Some include those screws when you buy those type of cabinets.

Old 01-14-10, 03:33 PM
S
Originally Posted by chandler
I like using these "French" cleats as they are called.
Chandler, for shop cabinets, do you actually recess the cabinet cleat in the back of the cabinet, or just leave space between the cabinet and the wall and have a bottom cleat also?

I was thinking about continuous cleats across some walls. Where I want to hang hooks, I can attach them directly to the (2x) cleats instead of finding a stud. Where I want cabinets I can hang them over the cleats, but can still move them around as needed whereever I want. Am I missing some big drawback? I realize the gap from the wall might look a little odd . . .

Old 01-15-10, 03:42 AM
You hit the nail (so to speak) on the head. It depends on whether you want the versatility of being able to slide them to new locations or change the groupings. In that case, the cleat would be mounted proud of the back and an additional spacer cleat attached to the back of the cabinet bottom so it will sit level. If you have your locations pretty well picked out you can recess them. Basically all you would do is make the cabinet 1 1/2" deeper and surround the back with the excess sides,top and bottom.
Dealing with the gap would be aesthetic on the ends only, IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: