storage cabinets

Old 01-25-10, 03:11 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
storage cabinets

i would like to build a storage cabinet for my tools in my BASEMENT. thinking 3' x 3' x 24" deep. was going to frame it out with 2x4's. not sure what kind of plywood to use. not looking to spend a lot or for it to look pretty. need suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-10, 03:47 PM
J
IMHO, deep cabinets don't work for me. Things that would be in the back of the cabinet are the things I need for this project. Wider and not as deep. I just use store bought shelves, everything is up front, but also into dust.

Old 01-25-10, 04:28 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've always used OSB for this type of project, but MDF would also work. If you go with 3/4 OSB, you could get by with framing smaller than 2x4.

You might want to base the cabinet's measurements so that you didn't have any waste from a 4X8 sheet of plywood. 4' x 4' x 24" would give you more space with no scrap waste.

Old 01-25-10, 05:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
I agree with Bill, unless it's a base cabinet with a work space on top - 2' deep is too much, 1' works fine for me.

I'm not crazy about using OSB for any type of cabinet. 5/8" cdx plywood will work well and isn't too hard on the budget
1xs should be fine for the framework, I usually rip 1x2's out of 2x stock to save a few bucks

Old 01-26-10, 06:14 AM
F
thanks mark n bill.

redsox boy there are two things u should know: mdf is not good to use in basements, and never comment on a new yorkers thread with that diy name. lol. thanx.