Help Me Buy My New Tools!

Old 01-28-10, 02:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Me Buy My New Tools!

I'm about to buy a bunch of new tools...I hope you are as excited as I am!

First off, I haven't done any woodworking in 12 years. I have no tools anymore. I had many tools in my younger years but in my late teens to mid 20 I was going to school, living on my own, and broke, so I sold everything (plus I had all the room in the world when living at home...not so much room in my apartment). So I come here now, after buying my first home, a fixer-upper, and I have space, money, and more importantly, TIME!

I do have a bit of budget, $500 to start and then $50 a month to dedicate toward new tools for the rest of 2010. I've budgeted myself materials money separate from the tools budget. I've never been anything but a hobbyist but would like to become more skilled, especially at making computer desks and office related items.

So riddle me this; if you had no tools and only had $500, what tools would you buy? What tools could get you into the fray with such little start up?

Now, when I say I don't have any tools I mean woodworking tools. I do have the following items so they don't need to be considered...

Cordless drill
Corded drill
Full array of bits and tips for drill
Full array of screw drivers
Full sized hammer, hand hammer, and rubber mallet
Level
Tape measure
...wow, I checked my tools and the above list is complete...that's sad.

I really welcome your thoughts and suggestion and plan on doing my shopping this weekend. So thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-10, 03:14 PM
M
I recommend you buy a full set of Marples chisels.

Old 01-28-10, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A miter saw and table saw would be pretty high on the list

Old 01-28-10, 06:11 PM
Noting that you said you wanted to build desks and furniture, i would recommend that you head to harbor freight and purchase a bunch of clamps. You can get them real cheap there and they are of good quality. Don't get the squeeze clamps. they don't hold hard enough. get the ones that screw.

I would also suggest that you purchase a compressor and some brad/ staple guns.

You can get a kit of compressor and a staple gun at any big box relatively cheap. HD sells a 1 gallon and a gun for $78. You can replace the crappy coil pvc hose with a rubber 1/4" hose (25ft.) from harbor freight for like $8.

Harbor freight also sells all sorts of tools but I like the better name brand stuff. Good Luck!

Old 01-28-10, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
To help make your dollars go farther, I suggest browsing your local craigslist for good, used tools. There is always somebody unloading their tools because they no longer have time.

Note about Harbor Freight: While they do have cheap equipment, they might not be of the best quality. Just be aware to look them over well and make sure they are what you want. I am not putting down HF as I have purchased many a tool from them, I just want you to make an informed purchase.

Tool list:
#1 table saw
#2 Miter saw
#3 palm or random orbit sander
#4 Shop vac
#5 compressor and nail guns
#6 clamps
#7 muilt base router & router table

Old 01-28-10, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Gosh, I had to go to a meeting this evening at church, and missed out on helping spend someone else's money
All the advice is right on. The basic tools will eventually grow to a list of "wants" and "needs". If you need help in deciding, let us know. We're good.

Old 01-29-10, 08:07 AM
M
Good tip on Craigs list and Harbor Freight. I buy a lot at Harbor Freight but as far as woodworking I'd only stick with the air tools and wood clamps. That being said I would add a pocket hole jig to my list of most needed tools. Kreg is what I have but there are other brands considerably cheaper. Also get screws in bulk instead of the 100 pack that the tool stores sell. I think my first purchase would be a table saw then a miter saw. Also you'll need a workbench and vise.

Old 01-29-10, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
Oooo Kreg jig is another good one! That one might have to be #2.5 I would recommend the blue one.