Building a Fireplace Mantle

Old 01-30-10, 11:27 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Building a Fireplace Mantle

Project Explanation:

I am trying to build a new mantle around my corner fireplace which has an empty space above it. My problem is that there is an existing marble tile surround that I want to keep intact. They are 12" tiles with one column going down either side and two rows of tile across the top. I don't have any room around the tile to secure my baseboards for the legs or the shelf. I would like to have 2" to 2.5" of the tile showing on the inside columns and a full row (12") of tile showing on the top portion under the shelf.

Question:

What is the best way to secure the mantle to the tile without destroying it? Can I drill through the tile with a glass drill bit and secure the baseboard directly to the tile with some sort of screw? I would like to stay away from adhesives such as liquid nails.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...eplace/011.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...eplace/010.jpg

Last edited by doinmybest; 01-30-10 at 12:40 PM. Reason: adding a picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-10, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your fireplace? That way we can see what you see. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
What is your problem with modern adhesives? Holes would be uglier than my cat.

Old 01-30-10, 12:44 PM
D
I have edited my original post and added pictures. I don't mind putting holes in the tile because they won't be visible after the mantle is completed and I don't plan on ever removing it. The adhesives take to long to set and I am a very impatient person. I like to get started on something and finish it very quickly. :-)

Old 01-30-10, 02:35 PM
If you are just installing a mantel, you don't necessarily need "legs". The mantel will attach directly to the wood framing behind the sheetrock just over the top marble piece. Is your design for pilasters or does it matter? Pilasters would look nice, but the offset of the fireplace may make it look even more offset if you put them in. Thoughts?

Old 01-30-10, 05:38 PM
D
I definitely intend to use pilasters. I want to add some depth to the whole thing by starting with a baseboard around the whole surround and layer it up from there.

Old 01-30-10, 05:56 PM
I may be jumping the gun, but would you be putting the pilasters on the outer edge of the tile? Or outboard of the tile? For illustration purposes only go to http://www.chandlerscarpentry.com/projectsthree.html and scroll down the page. I built one for a customer who had the entire firebox proud of the wall. I stack built the pilasters. Is this something like what you are wanting to do?

Old 01-30-10, 06:44 PM
D
Typical code requires non combustible materials to be used within 8" of the fire box. It can vary from town to town.

If you had a 2" return on the pilasters to the tile, you might be able to get a nice width for them and maintain that 8".

Old 01-30-10, 11:58 PM
D
Yeah, that's pretty darn close to what I'm trying to do.

Old 01-31-10, 06:49 AM
M
To answer your question, yes you can drill through the marble very easily. The problem is you may have is trying to find the studs behind the marble to screw into. Adhesive in my book is the best way to go. It will hold better than a few screws that end up in drywall. I would build the mantel then attach it to the fire box instead of trying to build it by putting individual boards up.

Old 02-04-10, 08:19 PM
D
Old 02-04-10, 08:59 PM
Awesome job! Looks great!

Old 02-05-10, 01:05 AM
Repeat. Great Job!!.............