Man cave under construction (Bar question)

Old 02-07-10, 01:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Man cave under construction (Bar question)

My bar is all framed out 6'x8' "L" shaped against a wall on one end and 17". I skinned the fronts with 3/4 oak ply and plan on using 3/4 oak ply for the top over 3/4 rough ply. I'm a master plumber not a carpenter so the plumbing is all done. I want to put on the classic chicago bar rail on the side and fronts and a 3-1/2" drink well on the inside. My questions are how much of an overhang should I have? I want it to be comfortable but I am limited on space. What is the standard width of the actual bar top not including the well or rail? Has anyone used Minwax Poly and stain combined in the same can? seems like it would be saving a couple steps. Bar top is the most important step and I don't want to make a mistake or have any regrets. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 02:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't answer the bar size question but I'm not a fan of minwax. I prefer Zars stain.

Old 02-08-10, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
The only bad thing about the poly/stain combo is that it will darken with each coat because you keep putting stain on. I say stick with separate stain and poly.

Or you could use the two part pour on finish that many bars use. Just search "epoxy pour finish"