Acrylic latex primer on sanded pine board?

Old 02-11-10, 06:32 PM
Acrylic latex primer on sanded pine board?

I have some pine board that I would like to sand and paint. I have BEHR 5 gal. Premium Plus Interior Enamel Undercoater Primer & Sealer that I bought for other rooms in the house and my question is if I use this will the knots bleed through? I have read that an oil based primer is best but I have never used oil based primers. I hear that you need to do some serious ventilation and wear heavy duty masks while using oil based primers. I would like to avoid that but then again I would like to avoid seeing the knots bleed through the final coat as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Currently the pine board is sealed with what I guess is a polyurethane clear coat. Maybe I shouldn't sand and just prime over top of the clear coat? The description for the primer states: A multi-purpose, stain-blocking primer adheres to glossy surfaces and locks in stains. Use on all new and previously painted Interior surfaces. Ideal over oil or water-based coatings, heavy stains and glossy surfaces.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Since the wood already has a polyurathane finish - stains/bleeding won't be a problem but adhesion is! Latex primers do a poor job of adhering to poly. It's best to use a solvent based primer with a pigmented shellac [like zinnser's BIN] be the best - also the stinkiest

Sanding is a must!! If you sand well and then wipe down the wood with a liquid deglosser [be sure to read and follow instructions] a latex primer might do ok - but a solvent based primer is a safer bet.

Old 02-12-10, 07:07 AM
Agree 100% you must sand. BIN stinks but it's not so bad that you have to use a mask. It's also the best to use in this case.

Old 02-12-10, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the help!Beer 4U2

Old 02-16-10, 11:01 AM
Frankly BIN is overkill,Zinsser's oil based product or any better quality oil/solvent based primer should be fine.