Resizing a hole

Old 02-19-10, 11:11 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resizing a hole

I'm in the process of building an electric guitar. I've forgone most of the carpentry of it; I took the body of a fairly cheap old guitar I've had since I was about six, and am in the process of sanding it down and repainting it (but not before making a few modifications to the shape).

Now the time has come where I'm looking into ordering the parts I need for the electronics. There is a 1" hole on the side of the guitar which was covered by a plastic plate. The plate in turn had a 3/8" hole for the jack.

Now here's the issue: I'd like to use, instead of the plastic plate, a nickel ferrule that fits into the hole. (It can be found here for reference. The issue, as you can see, is that it is made for a 7/8" hole, and does not come in larger sizes. I've considered filling it with wood filler and then re-drilling it at 7/8". Is this a good idea? Or is there a better way to go about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-10, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You should be able to buy brass or stainless washers that have a 7/8" hole in them and would spread over the 1" hole on inside and outside (takes 2). You could mount your ferrule in the washers, tightening it on the washers. Should make it look nice as well.

Old 02-19-10, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are sanding it down I would suggest looking into a hardwood laminate/veneer. You could glue a piece a bit larger than the hole on the inside than cut a piece to fill the hole a bit proud of the outside and glue it in. Sand it down to flush than use a wood filler to clean up the edges if necessary. I really don't think wood filler would hold up if you used it for the entire hole. Hardwood laminate/veneer comes in many wood species and is available over the web. This is a good site: http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/10...Veneering.aspx

Last edited by wsaend; 02-19-10 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add Web page