Mixing stained and painted moulding

Old 02-19-10, 08:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing stained and painted moulding

I have a built in bookcase entertainment center made of stained maple that goes from wall to wall. 4' book cases with doors on the bottom on either side of 6' center cabinets. The book cases go to the ceiling. I have white crown moulding along the ceiling and is wrapped around the book cases and back to the wall above the center cabinets. I don't like the look of white on the maple. Can I put maple crown on one wall. I thought about putting corner blocks where it goes from white to stained. Would that look crazy?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-10, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! White molding mixes well with the woods, generally, but it is up to you. Since the bookcase covers the entire wall, you can switch, but IMO the intersection points will become focal points and not be very eye appealing. Continuing the white over the maple is probably gonna look the best. Try a scrap of each to see which you will like. IF you use corner blocks, what color would they be...white, maple, or zebra?

Old 02-20-10, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Ya, it can be difficult to pick colors or design choices for someone else. Isn't strange how we don't all have the same taste

White crown will tie the built in with the rest of the room, staining it to match will make the built in look more like a separate piece of furniture. I've done it both ways for customers - can't say that one way looks better than the other.