Help With Hard Maple

Old 02-22-10, 09:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With Hard Maple

I have tried going through the forums looking for ways to stain hard maple but I can never find something that is exactly what I am looking for so I thought I'd try this.

A few years ago someone gave me a desk. The finish was in really bad shape but I didn't really have the time to refinish it until now. I really had no idea who made the furniture or how old it was until I started stripping the old finish. Under one of the drawers was a stamp from the furniture company Consider H. Willett and from the Golden Beryl Maple collection. I found out the company stopped making furniture back in 1962 so it's at least 50 years old. I was about to refinish it using a normal Minwax oil based wood stain and poly finish but decided to check on the internet to make sure how to stain maple. Thank goodness I did because I've read a few horror stories of major blotching with hard maple.

So my questions are: How do I stain and finish the hard maple? Should I go with a dark or light color? (I know that it's hard to see the grain on maple and usually color is just a preference, but is there something that just works better on maple?)

By the way, I don't have a spray system as I'm just a beginner with this stuff.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about how big they are. I didn't know how to make them smaller.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 03:36 PM
J
Pics did not come thru on my machine. Maple is wood, and you can stain wood. It must be bare wood with no old finish. How long you leave a stain on usually determines the depth of color. Some woods take longer, but never let the stain dry. If you have a sample that helps, if not use the underside as a sample.

Old 02-22-10, 05:31 PM
You can try a gel stain or a combo stain-sealer, minwax makes both. I know those will work better but as far as the specific process I am no expert. I believe you use the gel stain one coat let dry and than sand and clean. Than you mix gel stain and poly 50-50 mix, apply one coat and let dry, sand and clean. Than a coat of poly let dry and aooly a second coat if necessary. The lighter the stain the less chance of blotching. Sand the wood with 320 sand paper prior to stain and in between each coats. I would definitely try it first on a hidden spot.

Old 02-23-10, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
What color are you wanting to stain the maple?

Maple doesn't deal well with dark stains which is why it is normally finished natural or with a light color stain. It is possible to stain maple dark but it's not as easy as using a dark stain with other types of hardwood. Tinted polys work but they aren't necessarily easy to apply.

almost forgot
welcome to the forums!