Framing a Wall question

Old 02-22-10, 03:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing a Wall question

Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I am about to frame in a room and only have one question. when putting in the top and bottom plates for the wall do theends have to match up or not? I know i am to start with the bottom plate and install it arround the room and then do the same for the top along the joists but do their ends have to match?

Also does it matter where the end of the 2x4 lands for the top plate? does it have to end on a joist or can it end inbetween?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 04:12 PM
The studs not only provide support but also nailing surface for drywall or paneling, or whatever you plan to use to cover the wall.

I don't know that structurally there should be a concern assuming you aren't replacing a load bearing wall. It sounds like a new wall so the question about "should the ends meet", I would guess that you mean the top and bottom plate being the same lengths.

I would say yes, they should be the same lengths. You will need a stud to attach the sill and top plate on the ends, for any other reason that you will need a nailing surface for whatever covering you plan to use.

As far as them ending on a joist,that shouldn't be an issue. Assuming its a non load bearing wall that is.

Old 02-22-10, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelush78 View Post
I know i am to start with the bottom plate and install it arround the room and then do the same for the top along the joists
How will you determine plumb for the plates?

but do their ends have to match?
Do you mean the cuts? Do the seems between cut ends have to be the same on both top and bottom plate?
Only if you're like me and have OCD.
But your wording had me thrown on that one too.
It's OK riggstad.

Also does it matter where the end of the 2x4 lands for the top plate? does it have to end on a joist or can it end inbetween?
Just land those seams on a joist whenever you can help it. Blocking can be added to secure plates that end in between joists if you wish.

Old 02-23-10, 07:16 AM
M
I think you will find it easier to build the wall on the floor and then raise it into place. One thing to keep in mind is that the corners where two walls meet it is necessary to put two 2x4's seperated by a 2x4 spacer on one of the walls so that there will be a surface for the drywall to attach to in the corner