Baseboard and door trim

Old 02-22-10, 05:44 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard and door trim

I am looking for some hits on baseboard height vs how wide my door trim should be?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It really depends on how ornate the remaining trim in the room is. Do you have crown molding? How about your window molding, what type is it? 5" speedbase can be used with almost any type molding, especially the colonial wider moldings. What did you have in mind so we can analyze it a little. It really is a personal preference.

Old 02-22-10, 06:30 PM
Most base molding is 4-1/2" to 5" and case molding 2-1/4" to 3". As chandler stated a little more detail will help, maybe a pic or two. Are you replacing all of your molding?

Old 02-22-10, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules that are set in stone. The house I'm working in now will have 3 1/2" casing, and 7 1/2" baseboards. The house before that had casing and backbanding that totalled 5 1/8" while the 3 piece baseboard was about 7 1/4". Our congregation has 2 1/4" casing and 4" baseboard. The height of the ceilings, design of the house and look you are going for would all have to be considered.

Old 02-23-10, 01:48 PM
X
baseboard

I am going to make my own moulding from 150 yr old hemlock I was able to save from an old barn nothing crazy just pulled the nails and rip it to the size I need. put a cost of poly on it and use it. I'm not putting any crown up it is just a basement family room but I'm going for an old look. my ceiling is only 7'2" and I'm scared if I go to big it will make it look shorter then it is.