MY FIRST POST--Help with Makita Miter Saw

Old 02-25-10, 09:29 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MY FIRST POST--Help with Makita Miter Saw

I have an old Makita LS1011 miter saw with a problem. I was cleaning the saw, after using, and upon raised the head, the "return to up" spring jumped out and went actoss the floor. I have did an extensive search to determine how this spring is installed and the diagrams I have found only show the spring, a spring retainer and a pin. The spring retainer looks like a large washer with a "dimple" in the center.
I have searched the garage FIVE times and have found nothing but the spring and pin. The spring goes into a threaded screw, that is still in place.
I have found parts but don't know what to order.
There has to be more parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Welcome!

Try here: Makita LS1011 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com they have a diagram and parts list for your saw.

Old 02-26-10, 05:46 AM
G
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Welcome!

Try here: Makita LS1011 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com they have a diagram and parts list for your saw.
Yes I have found that and a few more.
If you look at the diagram, the only associated parts in question is--
(1)--#44-Compression spring
(2)--#45-Spring retainer
(3)--#46-Pin
(4)--#142-Bolt
There has to be more parts that are not shown. According to this diagram, all I am missing is the Spring retainer. From what I see there is no way this spring retainer will hold the spring in place. It appears to be a flat,shouldered,washer with a dimple.-Any further interest in helping would be appreciated.

Old 02-26-10, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Looking at the diagram..it appears the spring holder and pin are just a "seat" for the spring that is allowed to rotate or self-center (the pin and dimple function). Prob to keep the hardened coil spring from damaging the aluminum casting?

I can't tell from the diagram..but I assume that the bolt (#142) and the rubber sleeve (#143) go down into the center of the spring?

Just wondering...did something break (a stop or tab) that allowed the saw to go up higher than normal, thus allowing the spring to pop out?

Old 02-26-10, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Or did the tang on the spring itself break off preventing it from locking into the keeper. Springs are brittle on the end and I note both my Bosch and Ridgid have tangs on the spring.

Old 02-26-10, 01:36 PM
G
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Looking at the diagram..it appears the spring holder and pin are just a "seat" for the spring that is allowed to rotate or self-center (the pin and dimple function). Prob to keep the hardened coil spring from damaging the aluminum casting?

I can't tell from the diagram..but I assume that the bolt (#142) and the rubber sleeve (#143) go down into the center of the spring?

Just wondering...did something break (a stop or tab) that allowed the saw to go up higher than normal, thus allowing the spring to pop out?
Well--You got me to thinking when you asked "did something break".
Nothing broke but I bought the saw at a sale, and the safety guard was missing. From looking at the diagram, it is evident that the activator arm will also serve as a stop. It is attached close to the base of the spring seat, or pin, and next to the inside blade housing. I will also order the guard assembly along with the spring holder because I am sure my assumption is correct.
Thanks for your question.