Threshold Between Hardwood and Travertine

Old 03-03-10, 11:48 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Threshold Between Hardwood and Travertine

I installed hardwood in one room and travertine natural stone in the adjacent room. Trying to decide the best way to design my threshold. The travertine is 1/2" above the grade of the hardwood. I have solid planks of oak I bought and plan to build a custom threshold. Should the threshold butt up against flush with the travertine or should it extend onto its surface? I'm concerned about the travertine cracking. Also, what's the best way to secure? Simply nail the oak threshold to the hardwood? Should I secure to the travertine at all? Thanks!

Old 03-03-10, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Like you, I make my own thresholds. Just don't like the manufactured ones. You can make a subtle 1/2" threshold and put all the weight on the hardwood with the angle back to the wood. I agree putting pressure on the travertine can't be happy.

Old 03-03-10, 11:35 PM
If there is a gap between the tile and wood you want to nail it to the sub floor. Your wood and tile floor will expand and contract so there should be a good 3/8" to 1/2" gap between the two You want to use a t-molding. You want it to overlap onto both surfaces. If you nail it to your hardwood and flush it to the tile that can crack your tile. Either way you need to have room for expansion especially if it is a floating floor. If there is no gap then you have another problem.

Old 03-04-10, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
wsaend has the best solution, but it is my understanding the wood is already in stalled, correct? Aside from cutting an expansion joint along the wood at the travertine edge, not sure how a t molding will fit.

Old 03-04-10, 08:03 AM
A
forgot to mention, the tile sits 3/8" higher than the hardwood. there is currently a 1/4" gap between the two which I can make wider if need-be. not sure a t-molding works in this situation.

Old 03-04-10, 07:45 PM
if you make your own just dado one side the height of the tile and the other side the height of the flooring, leaving the center a smidgen narrower then the gap. Maybe a Overlap Reducer Molding would work in your case. Really the most important thing is the space for expansion. Either are easy to make. Good Luck...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: