Question about Wainscotting.....

Old 03-05-10, 12:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about Wainscotting.....

Good day everyone. My wife would like me to wainscot up the hallway stairs. She wants a chair rail, with wainscoting underneath it. She would like the chair rail/wainscoting painted semi-gloss white. My question, what wood could I use for the wainscoting that is thin that I could paint. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-10, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Paneled wainscotting comes to mind. Just remember you will have waste since you will have to cut the panels at angles so the vertical stripes remain vertical. Buy chair rail with a 1/4" relief on the back bottom side to dress it out. You may have to add a shoe molding on the skirt board also.

Old 03-05-10, 03:29 PM
That's going to be a really bright stairway. Chandler is correct about making sure to plan for extra material because of the waste you will have.

Big box stores sell the wainscoting panels in packets along with the chair rail and base with the channels already built in. It's a snap to install. Most of it is fiber board already painted white.

I'm not much of a fan because it is cheaper material. You get the look, but it's visibly lesser quality. I think it would be fine to use in a basement or even kitchen, but stairways are usually a focal point to the entry of a house and therefore should be a little more classier IMO

I'm sure you can find some 1/4" birch at a mill somewhere and use that for your panels and get some hard woods for your stiles if you choose to go that way.

Old 03-05-10, 03:47 PM
S
First, thanks for the replies. I wanted to stay away from a kit if possible. I like the idea of birch, could I use a LUAN and paint that? Then but individual boxes on top of that? Then the wifey can paint as she sees fit.

Old 03-05-10, 03:55 PM
H
Have you thought about using bead board? It comes in sheet stock, easily cut to fit, and paints easily.

Old 03-05-10, 05:37 PM
S
I will look into beadboard. Thanks!

Old 03-05-10, 05:41 PM
I'd agree with the bead board. But stay away from Luan. Too rough to paint. It's not made for it.
If you want the framed appearance then don't use any sheeting at all. Just section an area off with chair rail, add the frames and paint the drywall. Just be sure to form a plan on how you'll want to space the frames.

A co-worker used this method with his dining room recently.

Old 03-05-10, 05:46 PM
S
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
I'd agree with the bead board. But stay away from Luan. Too rough to paint. It's not made for it.
If you want the framed appearance then don't use any sheeting at all. Just section an area off with chair rail, add the frames and paint the drywall. Just be sure to form a plan on how you'll want to space the frames.

Exactly what the wife wants, BUT on the stairs. So, the white is sheetrock painted? Beautiful..

Old 03-06-10, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I agree with mickblock, using moulding to create a faux wainscotting is the best way to achieve the look you are going for [and probably easier] Once the moulding is nailed up [you'll need some adhesive too] and primed and enameled - it looks great!

btw - I've painted truck loads of luan and never had any issues - but you do need to use the correct coatings to get a good looking job.

Old 03-06-10, 06:29 AM
M
This will get very expensive, the molding can easily go over a dollar a foot. Add in the waste and mistakes and it will quickly add up. If you have a router then make the molding. If you don't have a router you could almost pay for one with the savings. Just get #2 pine and work around the knots there will be plenty of clear wood. just MHO

Old 03-08-10, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post

If your on a budget, this is the way to go. Although the framing part gets tricky if you're going up stairs. Takes a bit of planning, but can be done.

Labor intensive, but inexpensive in terms of material cost.

Got a good miter saw, brad nailer, some wood filler, caulk and paint?

Old 03-09-10, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just remember, your molding will be cut on angles other than 45 degrees, since you are ascending a staircase. The molding thing will look great, but you will have your work cut out for you with the angles.