Add shelves to armoire

Old 03-05-10, 09:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add shelves to armoire

I have a plain old armoire that has one top shelf and a rod below it for hanging clothes. I don't know what kind of wood it's made of, but the wood is rock hard.
I'd like to use the armoire for linen and folded clothes storage with adjustable shelves from top to bottom.
Please don't laugh. This is probably a ridiculously easy project for most of you, but I haven't a clue how to go about this.
This means that I need a simple solution in terms a totally non-woodworking person can understand.
I have a drill, a jigsaw, a handsaw; I'm sure I can get the shelves cut to size -- I just don't know what to use to install them and how to go about it.
Would someone kindly help?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-10, 10:33 PM
There is a lot of ways to do this. You can buy a jig that make a bunch of dowel/pin holes and you put the dowels/pins in where you want the shelf to go, they are called "SHELF JIGS". They also make metal hardware for this they are called "SHELF STANDARDS". Google these and see what you think, if more help is needed just ask. Both are semi easy to do. The dowel/pin method looks the best, standards are easier.

Old 03-06-10, 07:03 AM
M
As wsaend mentioned shelf standards are the way to go. You'll need four of them. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and ask. They don't have to go all the way to the top or bottom (since you didn't mention that you had a hack saw and can't cut them) because you won't be putting a shelf right next to the top shelf that is already there. So if the space is say 5 feet high you could get away buy using 4 foot ones and starting them on the bottom. Be sure when you install them that you put them with the same side up each time so that the holes line up. Also be sure when you get the shelves cut that you measure correctly and leave room between the standards to slip the boars in.

Old 03-06-10, 07:18 AM
D
Okay -- so I need shelf standards and, well, shelves.
Will any kind of wood do? I don't care much about how it looks, as the doors will be kept closed.
What do I use to hold up the shelves? Regular brackets -- like the ones for wall shelves -- or is there something else I should ask for?

Old 03-06-10, 11:02 PM
They most likely will come in a package so the brackets/support will come with them. But this shows the standard and the support. If looks doesn't matter then neither does the wood. One more thing if you ever plan to put a lot of weight on them you might want to put a 5th one on the back wall and centered.

Old 03-07-10, 04:37 AM
M
One more thing you can surface mount them instead of tyhe way they are done in the picture. This way looks much better but I doubt that you have a router.

Old 03-07-10, 06:19 AM
D
Great. Now I know what to look for.
Thanks a lot -- a picture does help!

Old 03-07-10, 06:20 AM
The shelf system that these guys are suggesting is pretty much your best bet for putting in adjustable shelves without making a woodworking project of it.
You've probably seen these in clothing stores.

the one in the picture is upside down. Don't do that with yours!

Old 03-07-10, 06:42 AM
D
Thanks for the warning; I was going to use that pic as a guide ...

What kind of wood should I use for the shelves? It's for clothing, linens, bedspreads.

Old 03-07-10, 10:28 AM
If you plan to get your wood from Lowes or HD I would go with "select pine" it is usually pretty flat and semi cheep. Sorry, about the pic. Yeah, that piece can be flush or surface mounted but some cant. You want to make sure you get one that can be surface mounted. This one is from rockler.com but Lowes and HD sell them and most larger hardware stores.

Old 03-07-10, 12:01 PM
D
Wonderful. Thanks, everyone. I will probably tackle this project next weekend -- you will surely hear from me if I run into any problems!

Old 03-08-10, 05:50 AM
M
The type of wood you use for the shelves depend on how wide, how deep and how heavy a load. 3/4 "Plywood would be the strongest but you would have to do something with the edges. You could use pine as mentioned however the widest you will be able to get is 11 1/2". You could also get a pre finished shelf 12" wide at Home Depot. What ever you get they can cut it down to size for you. Just remember that it has to be shorter than the width of the cabinet plus the width of the two standards plus a little wiggle room.

Old 03-08-10, 06:39 AM
D
Shelves need to be 20" deep and approximately 32" long.
What is my least expensive option? Shelves will hold clothing and bedding -- nothing heavy.

Old 03-08-10, 11:49 AM
Lowes sells edge glued shelving out of aspen and pine that would be wide and long enough for what you need. You can also use plywood and get some half round/bull nose molding for the front edge. The plywood would be cheaper but it can have a lot of splinters that can catch on the clothes. I would go to a lumber store and see what they have price it out and get what seems to be the best. Either way would work I would just put a shelf paper down if you use the plywood. Good Luck.

Old 03-09-10, 05:50 AM
M
You can get prefinished particle board in 4x8 sheets at the big box stores. They will cut the board to size, with planing you may be able to get the front edges cut so that they are all pre-finished. Because they are so deep you might want to consider a center support. They sell standards that are meant to hold shelves a different way with longer brackets. This is an example of what they look like however you wouldn't need a twin set of holes. You might not be able to get a bracket 20" long however you could simply cut the turned up end off a shorter one or you could get this type that doesn't have the turned up end.
Epoxy Coated Twin-Track Shelf Standards & Brackets - Rockler Woodworking Tools