isntalling a pedestal sink to wall

Old 03-06-10, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
isntalling a pedestal sink to wall

I am installing a pedestal sink. I redid all the walls and installed a 1/4' sheet of birch between the studs where the sink will be installed.

My question is... Is screwing the brackets that will hold the sink bowl to the wall be strong enough if I just screw them into the 1/4" birch, or should I bore a hole large enough to be able to use toggle bolts?

the sink calls for two brackets to be installed on the wall and the bowl sits on top of those brackets. The pedestal itself sits under the bowl but not bearing much weight at all.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 09:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have always used at least two 2X6 or 2X8 between the studs. 1/4" plywood wouldn't probably hold the screws. Toggle bolts may be your only option if you can't put in a 2X6.

IF you use one or more 2Xs you need 2Xs whose total width is at least 3" wider then the distance between the top bracket hole and the mounting hole at the bottom of the sink back. That's so your not too close to the edge of the boards at the top or bottom.

Old 03-07-10, 04:44 AM
M
I would go with toggle bolts too. Just be sure to get long ones. If you get say 1 1/2" ones then they will be very difficult to get in and open up. I would go with something like 3 1/2"

Old 03-07-10, 11:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would agree with Ray on installing the substantial back support as your plywood may fail if the pedestal doesn't take up the slack for the weight.

Old 03-07-10, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've always operated under the assumption that the pedestal supports the weight and the brackets prevent "tipping" or "pull away" if someone leans or sits on the sink. (yes, I know "sitting on a sink?", but I know it happens...don't ask how).

I do agree that you should use x6 or x8 if it hasn't been closed up.

Can you post a link to the brand or model of the sink...or to the instructions?

Old 03-08-10, 06:01 AM
mission accomplished.... here's what I did.

I had taken the room down to studs and had the opportunity to build in support for where the sink was going. I installed the 1/4" birch between the two studs where the sink was going to be placed. I figured that screwing 4 drywall screws into this for the brackets would suffice.

This is the 4th pedestal sink I've installed and the previous ones all had two brackets that the sink itself just laid on. Then the pedestal would support the sink itself while being screwed into the floor .

This sink had zero brackets and zero hardware with it. The back of the sink had two lateral slats built into the porcelain that were used to connect the sink to the wall. I knew that with no brackets and no provided hardware, and really no suggestion by the directions other than "anchors", that I would need more than just molly bolts and screws.

So, I found a couple T bolts. They were 3/8" wide and I bought 3 1/2" and 2" (two of each with washers and nuts).

Now, only because of the birch would T bolts be usable. I think through drywall the T bolts would eventually tear through the paper and rock and there would be issues. Toggle bolts just seemed to much of a pain. I've never had luck with them.

The first set I used where the 3 `1/2" which proved to be too long. They fit through and could be bolted, but the length of the bolt actually impeded the supply connection to the faucet.

I replaced them with the shorter bolts and got a perfect result.

I don't remember the brand. It was a very small and very inexpensive pedestal from Lowes. I can get it though and I'm thinking of doing a comparison between that one and the one I have in my home which is a rather large Kohler. That one hangs by brackets.

Old 03-08-10, 10:45 AM
Here is a pic of the sink I just completed with a view of the bolts.

I had first placed the sink into position (on top of the pedestal) and marked where the holes were to be drilled.

I drilled 3/8" holes through the drywall and birch and set the T bolts in. After that I replaced the sink onto the bolts, added some bigger washers, hand tightened, set the pedestal, and then tightened the bolts the rest of the way with a wrench.

The pedestal was then screwed into the floor with simple drywall screws.

Here is the link for pic of the bolts

Here is a pic of the sink after completely installed

Old 03-08-10, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
I'm sure your fix will work just fine.

FWIW - In commercial jobs here all the backing I have seen is just 3/4" plywood on steel studs (24ga) and 5/8" rock. This has held everything from bathroom grab bars, kitchen cabinets to 50" plasma TVs.

Old 03-08-10, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hey you Viking/Medieval knight guys need to find yer own forum...lol

I just question the 1/4" ply.....of course as a backer behind the 5/8" rock...it should be fine.

The few times I needed support when the walls were open I either used 2X material or 3/4" ply.

Old 03-08-10, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Hey you Viking/Medieval knight guys need to find yer own forum...lol

I just question the 1/4" ply.....of course as a backer behind the 5/8" rock...it should be fine.

The few times I needed support when the walls were open I either used 2X material or 3/4" ply.
we're plundering this forum!

I agree 1/4" is too thin even with 5/8" rock. I can break that with my sword.

Old 03-08-10, 03:35 PM
I mis-spoke... It's actually 1/2" Only reason I used birch was because I needed a little sheet for another project.

What I did was take a 2x3, ripped it length wise and stuck them on the insides of the studs that flanked the plumbing to use as nailers. 1/2" was the perfect size to fit flush in between.

It worked out fine. I will take another pic tonight and post to show you the pedestal in my house that is attached by brackets.

This one was installed before I bought the house and it was done incorrectly. It got loose right quick (with 4 monkeys hanging off of it everytime they tried to wash their hands) and posed an issue.

I fixed it by securing the brackets but over time it seems to be getting loose again. I swear to you, there seems to be concrete placed in this section of the wall to hold the anchors that were used to secure the brackets. I am thinking of doing something totally different moving forward.

You guys can give me some suggestions after I post the pics.