Building a shoe shelf

Old 03-09-10, 11:40 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a shoe shelf

I am trying to build the following shoe shelf
http://i.imgur.com/m8g1O.png

I've never build anything from scratch before, and I have two qustions:

1. I planned on all the beams to be 1x1 inch in thickness, but i can't seem to find that size at Home Depot or Lowes. Dowel rods come in that size, but they are too short. Why isn't that size available on the longer pieces of wood? Should i find a lumbar yard to get this?

2. What is the easiest way for me to secure those corners? I don't think just drilling would screws though would work, and in some places it won't even be possible.

In case anyone is interested, this is mocked up in Google Sketchup, and I can upload it to the model warehouse.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-10, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
You won't be able to find 1x1; that would be a very uncommon size. Your best bet will be 2x2 which measures 1 1/2 x 1 1/2.

Couple of ways to do the construction, but they generally either require quite a bit of time and/or skill and/or special tools. Pocket holes come to mind, but you need the pocket hole jig - Kreg makes them - to drill the holes. Or you could do mortise & tenon, but a lot of work involved for that. Dowels maybe, but keeping the holes straight when end-drilling the pieces would be tough.

Old 03-09-10, 12:06 PM
R
1 1/2 x 1 1/2 might be too big for what i want to do, but i'll take a look.

I've never heard of a pocket hole jig, but it seems like it might work. Kreg looks a but too expensive, but i see that there are other options.

Had to look up mortise & tenon as well, and yeah, i see what you mean by a lot of work.

I am not crazy about using dowels either.

Thank you for the good advice.

Old 03-09-10, 04:24 PM
Honestly, looking at that design, 1 x 1 won't be sturdy enough.

You will have to use at least 2 x 2. With it being a shoe shelf, I would guess that there will be a lot of movement going in and out of those slots, with the unit itself being banged on, and just used.

I can't see general pine 1 x 1 stock being able to do the job with that many levels. Just my opinion. You might be able to get some hardwoods in 1x stock that will work much better but also will add cost. With as many levels and connections in this design you will want to be sure all your connection will be of the strongest type.

research how some of these connections are done. Mortise and tenon, pocket hole jigs, etc. You can learn pretty easily how to accomplish all of them. I'm sure you can get that info right here on this site.

the design however is pretty simple, so the construction should be simple as well. The shelves you put on will add to the sturdiness, but as in all things carpentry, strong, sturdy techniques in joining pieces together add to the aesthetics of the piece as much as the material.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Old 03-10-10, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by riggstad View Post
Honestly, looking at that design, 1 x 1 won't be sturdy enough.
Thanks for adding that; I had it in mind while typing but left it out.

Old 03-10-10, 05:03 AM
M
Do you have access to a table saw? If so then you could get lumber known as 5/4, ask for it at Home Depot and rip it down to the width you need. A pocket hole jig would make building this a simple job. Kreg has a hand held version that sells for about $20 dollars. Another way of doing it would be to have all the parts made for you and you would just screw them together.

Old 03-10-10, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
I've never seen 5/4 at the big boxes places that wasn't treated deck boards.

Old 03-10-10, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Ok let me try again, I bumped the wrong button and lost my post

I've seen 5/4 rough sawn cedar at some big box stores but that wouldn't be an appropriate lumber for the job.

The cheapskate in me would pick out some good looking 2x's and rip them to size on the table saw, run them thru the planer, sand them and then use them

I'd be leery of the proposed plan without any support in the middle. Maybe a plywood backing would help.

Old 03-11-10, 05:12 AM
M
The cheapskate in me would go for the 2x material also it planes down beautifully and I use it all the time but I don't think he has a planer. Lowes sell 5/4 lumber s4s and I think Home Depot does too. I know that Home Depot sells yellow pine in 5/4 with a bull nose edge. and I think it's cheaper than buying regular 5/4