half wall attachment???

Old 03-12-10, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question half wall attachment???

I have an 8 foot wall to build in an open room with 20 foot ceiling... is it enough for me to attach the wall to the exterior walls or do i need additional points of attachment.. the wall will be 24 feet long?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-10, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
kingtutt

One post is plenty...you're just clogging it up. Its normally slow during the midday hours..and a few of the folks who could have answered were here earlier...and will probably be back later this afternoon. They may check in at lunch also.

I wish I could help...but I'd hate to give wrong info....

Oh...is this commercial or residential construction. Wood studs, metal? What kind of floor...can you attach to it? Will this be permanent?

Old 03-12-10, 10:36 AM
sry bout the clog up.. this is my first day> it will be wood framing and will be permanent.. with a door to get through.. thanks gun and sorry again

Old 03-12-10, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No prob...it just gets confusing sometimes....

Like I said...give 'em a chance....

Old 03-12-10, 10:43 AM
gotcha ... have a good one budBeer 4U2

Old 03-21-10, 03:00 PM
B
If you have a wood framed floor and access to the joist under it you can drop a 2x4 or whatever size framing member you have through the floor and block around it then bolt or nail through the blocking to get some additional strength.

If on concrete there are steel brackets (for lack of a better term) that can be bolted to the floor at various places. These brackets can be bought at metal stud suppliers around here .

I would place one re-inforcement at each side of the door opening and maybe one more in the center of each run if very long.

Bill

Old 03-21-10, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Bill, but I doubt very seriously you will have a stable wall with no return at all along the 24' span. I'm not sure of your design, but making a "T" at the end about 4' long spanning across the end of the wall, 2' on either side will add greatly to the wall's stability.

Old 03-21-10, 07:33 PM
Obviously, you have the problem with sway. I usually put vertical supports across the top and a cap. Otherwise it looks like the wall that goes nowhere. Either 2x4 or 2x6 on both sides and cap it with a 1x or 2x depending on the mood. I also put trim to desired look. This should give the support you need. As well I concur with Bill you need as much support from the floor as possible. I as well always lag the new wall into the supporting walls studs at least three. One 3 to 4 inches below the top plate one 12 inches below the first one and one centered. I lag the bottom plate to the floor or red heads if concrete. Every other space, one at first and last space and one each side of door. Hope I explained it right it always sounds better in my head. I also sent a pic along. I do this so the wall is a more pleasing to the eye and a little more structurally sound. Just my 0.2cents and probably all its worth.