fixing loose railing banister?

Old 03-20-10, 09:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink fixing loose railing banister?

Hi,
I own an older 2 story home.The 2nd floor level banister has become loose.I need to address this as I don't want someone to get hurt.What is the best way to do this?Should I just get long lag screws,and drill though the bottom side and install them?any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd determine what they are attached to behind the drywall, and why they came loose. If the brackets are attached to studs and just came loose because the screws are small, then I'd get some SPAX screws that are 1 size wider and longer. but not too big because you still want the heads to fit into the chamfer on the screw holes. SPAX because they are just made for better holding and don't require pre-drilling in wood.

Edit: OK -- my post was based on the assumption that you are talking about a banister attached directly to a wall with brackets.

Are you talking about a full stair rail with big newel posts and smaller ballusters? What joints are coming loose and from what point?

Last edited by mickblock; 03-20-10 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I can't read
Old 03-20-10, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Check to see if there is a plug on the bottom of the newel post. If so, you can pry it out and it will expose a bolt and nut set up. Tighten the nut with a wrench and replace the plug. That will alleviate the necessity of external screw heads. If you use screws on the exterior, countersink them and insert a plug to hide the hole.
Just re read the post is it the rail or the newel post??