Modifying kitchen cabinets

Old 03-24-10, 11:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modifying kitchen cabinets

Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
...then mount 2 cabinet doors on that face frame. One of the doors could have an astragal (like a mullion, but attached to a door so that it doesn't block the shelves when you open the doors) so that you would not be able to see through the gap between the doors.
I'd like to remove the existing astragals in our cabinets and attach them to the door(s). Any advice as to the best tool for the removal process?! I'm thinking a jig saw, but I'd hate to start using it and realize it's NOT the tool to use. (Newbie constructor/deconstructor! My apologies if this is in the wrong area.)- Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-10, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Welcome; you're in the right place and I moved you to your own thread.

Old 03-25-10, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen a astragal that wasn't attached to the door
could you supply us with a pic so we know for sure what you are trying to do?

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 03-25-10, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
What you are describing is not called an astragal, but is probably part of the face frame of the cabinet, dividing one cabinet into two sides. As mentioned, a picture would help a lot so that we can see the size of the cabinet and don't give you bad advice about taking it out. For instance, if there are drawers above those double cabinet doors, the weight of what's in the drawers as well as the width of the entire cabinet makes the vertical divider necessary to support the weight above and prevent it from sagging. So I hesitate to recommend removing it without asking first.

I would assume that the face frame divider might be fastened on the bottom with a couple brad nails, so you might have trouble there. But you could probably make a fairly clean cut by using an offset dovetail saw. Score the cut line on the front of the face frame with a sharp utility knife. Make this score line as straight and deep as you can. This will limit any tearout you make with the saw. You'd want to apply several layers of masking tape to the bottom of the cabinet to protect it from getting scratched as you saw. Keep the saw flush with the masking tape by pressing down on it with one hand as you saw with the other. Should result in a nice cut until you hit the nails. Just keep sawing through them, your saw will have to cut them. Apologize to the saw as you cut through them. LOL

But again, I wouldn't advise cutting it out if you have drawers above, or if the unit is wide. If you have 2 drawers, there is no continuous stile running horizontally beneath both drawers to help support them- they would be two separate pieces that join at the center face frame divider.

If you do cut it out, it would be a good idea to place additional fasteners through the face frame and to the countertop for strength. Removing the drawers so you could glue the top edge of the face frame to the bottom of the countertop would also be an option to keep it from sagging. Reinforcing the stile under the drawers by gluing an additional continuous piece onto the back of it would also be a good idea.