Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Thickness of plywood for bench seat which also stores books

Old 05-25-10, 10:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

so the plan is to build a bench seat about 10ft long, 16" deep and 24" tall.

The seat will be the top while underneith the seat will be a book shelf. Book shelves will be 2' long each, so a total of 5 sections.

How thick should the horizontal plywood be to properly hold the books and people. Consider 1 person that is 190 lbs, a lady which is less than that, and a baby on board all sitting on the bench at once for instance.

I have the impression 1/2" should be ok since there will be 1/2" ply vertically every 2' but I'd like to confirm with you all. I want this bench to last.

Oh, the bookshelves will be 1' high and if you are wondering where the extra 1' space is going to be below the bookshelves, this will be the foundation for the bookshelve and bench seat, 2x4s' every 2'. I have to put this part here because a baseboard radiator is on the wall I am building the seat and I need to keep the front free to allow the heat to dissipitate.

thank you.

Old 05-25-10, 01:33 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would use 3/4" plywood. The 1/2" will deflect if someone sits on it.

Old 05-25-10, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I second 3/4" or whatever is close to that, 23/32 or whatever. I'd also use 3/4" for the verticals. More support and less chance of bowing or splitting from fasteners.

Old 05-25-10, 04:29 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just to be clear, are we talking 3/4" nominal or actual?

Old 05-25-10, 04:39 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is no reason to be concerned about a 1/32" difference in plywood. It's thicker than the 1/2" you planned to use. Good luck finding plywood exactly 3/4" thick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: