First ever woodworking project

Old 07-26-10, 08:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First ever woodworking project

Hi All... My wife and I just bought our first home and it has a nice master walk-in closet. I'd like to build something like this and this, but I have no prior experience with woodworking, just an interest in learning. Is this something that a beginner could handle? From what I've read it would require me to learn some basics (measuring, cutting, joining) but doesn't sound super-advanced. Also, if my wife knew she was getting a custom closet built, she'd have no problem with me buying all the basic woodworking tools that I'll need, because I don't have any .

FYI, I handle routine fix-it tasks around the house and have a basic understanding and collection of tools (again, first time homeowner, so not a lot of equipment/experience), but I'm a quick learner and comfortable using basic tools.

What is your opinion on a project making built-in shelves as a first foray into woodworking?

Old 07-26-10, 08:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I say go for it

You're probably going to do something and decide months or years from now you wish you'd done differently but that will be due to the experience you have then - you have to start somewhere

Old 07-26-10, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I second going for it. As a starting point I would do a lot of reading on the subject of woodworking in general and built-ins in particular before you cut the first board. I'm thinking you are going to need a table saw and router at least and a miter saw would be nice for cutting the trim pieces.

Old 07-26-10, 09:40 AM
D
I figure also if after doing a bunch of reading & research if I feel like I'd be more comfortable starting with something a little less complex, I could always scale the project back to something more like this.

Originally Posted by dsarver
...build something like this and this...
Regarding the trim in the pictures that I linked to in my original post (above)... the pieces used as the shelves must be pretty darn thick to attach that trim to, no?

Old 07-26-10, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The pictures you posted appears to be more or less made from off the shelf parts, meaning that you can go to the home store and get all the sides, trim and other lumber you need which will save on the tool investment. You will likely need a table saw or circular saw to cut sheet goods (plywood) to the size you need. If you are going to paint it I suggest using aspen or birch for your wood. For jointing I recommend a Kreg pocket hole jig. It is fast, strong, and with careful planing, can be hidden.

Old 07-26-10, 09:55 AM
D
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
...I recommend a Kreg pocket hole jig. It is fast, strong, and with careful planing, can be hidden.
Is this it?

In order to hide it, would one simply drill the pocket hole on the underside of the shelf? Or is there more to it than that?

Old 07-26-10, 10:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, that's it and yes, you would put the pockets on the underside

Don't know how I ever got along without my pocket hole jig... or my nail guns... or my miter saw....

Old 07-26-10, 01:16 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Pocket Hole Jig

I like my Kreg also. Be advised that shelves above eye level would make the pocket holes visible from the under side.

Old 07-26-10, 01:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Kreg does sell plugs you can put in the holes - trim it off and sand smooth before you paint and you won't see the holes at all

Old 07-26-10, 01:24 PM
D
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
Be advised that shelves above eye level would make the pocket holes visible from the under side.
I thought about that... I just read about wood plugs for the pocket holes. Any opinions on those?

Old 07-26-10, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The plugs work well, and if your going to paint the shelves, they will be pretty much hidden after you sand and paint. Also, in your pictures the shelves have a piece of molding on the front that will also block the view of the bottom side of the shelf. And after your wife jams the shelves with clothes you will never see the bottom anyway!

Old 07-27-10, 02:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by mitch17
Yep, that's it and yes, you would put the pockets on the underside

Don't know how I ever got along without my pocket hole jig... or my nail guns... or my miter saw....
Agreed, go with the pocket hole jig. THis project definitely doesn't look too difficult. As long as you dont rush into it and do the proper research you should be able to put it together without too many problems.

Old 07-28-10, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch17
You forgot biscuit cutter.

Old 07-28-10, 06:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
You forgot biscuit cutter.
Yeah, don't have one of those

Yet....

Old 08-21-10, 01:51 PM
I
I'm curious, did you start your project? I am a beginner, but decided my walk in pantry had to go. I gutted it and rebuilt it using 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood. Trimmed it with poplar and stained and varnished it. Put in some drawers, pull out baskets, and a lazy susan. Came out pretty nice.

Had a table saw, bought a Porter Cable router (love it) and Jigsaw. Learned a lot, now going to tackle master bedroom closet.

If you haven't already started -- go for it.

Old 08-23-10, 06:27 AM
D
I haven't started it yet (there are more pressing things at the house that need taken of) but I'm still planning to go for it. Would you recommend the birch cabinet grade plywood that you used? Does anyone else have any recommendations? Tolyn mentioned aspen in an early post... I am planning on painting it white.

Old 08-23-10, 06:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, plywood is a good choice if you're going to paint it, not sure whether the species matters but the better the finish, the less prep work you'll have before being able to paint it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: