Random Orbit Sander doesn't "orbit" much

Old 08-05-10, 10:07 AM
D
doc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Random Orbit Sander doesn't "orbit" much

I have a two year old Dewalt random orbit sander. The last time I used it, it didn't seem to oscillate as much as I thought it should.

I'm thinking of taking it apart, but before I do that - what might the problem be? Any words of caution about taking it apart?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-10, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I had the exact same issue...the rubber O ring used as a belt to get it to oscillate had worn/stretched as I remember...(maybe even broke?)...tried to find one that would work locally...but wound up getting one at the Porter Cable distributor next time I was in Vegas. Couple of bucks and back in business. Actually..I got 2...just to be safe.

Just pull the pad and base off the bottom..it should be readily apparent.

Hmmmmm I don't even see sanders at the Dewalt site....thats odd....
OK...found one when I used the search function...

EDIT...you may want to disregard my advice.....depending on the model..looks like DW uses a different mechanism...maybe springs and cogs? I'd still take it apart...you may find it just needs cleaning.

Old 08-05-10, 10:59 AM
D
doc
Sweet thanks. Worth a try and save the cost of a new one.

Old 08-05-10, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Votes on 178 Posts
If you have an air compressor you might try blowing it out first... if it works, you save your self the trouble of taking it apart, if not, well at least you won't have any dust to fool with

Old 08-05-10, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 390 Posts
Dewalt orbital sanders have a CFC disk that needs to be replaced now and then. You remove the 3 screws that hold the pad on, and it's an ivory/white colored ring above the sander pad and it just pops off. It controls the spin of the pad. If your sander speeds up when you pick it up off the work surface and spins wildly, then you need to replace the CFC disc.

If your sander vibrates and spins slowly while it's working, then it's working as it's supposed to and i'd venture to guess there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-05-10, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Too much pressure will cause the sander to work improperly.

Old 08-05-10, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Good point Chandler. In my early days I used to push too hard on the sander.

And it's a CFS disk, not CFC.

"Controlled Finishing System" disk.

Old 07-19-12, 01:55 PM
D
doc
Quick update on my sander - I pulled the pad and 3 pieces of what looks like a very thin and shiny silver came out, too. Is this the CFS that xsleeper was talking about? I looked up a parts diagram online and I can't find this silver piece on there. Is it part of the pad?

Old 07-19-12, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the silver came off, that is the covering on the top of your hook and loop pad. The entire pad needs to be replaced. The CFS disk is an off white/ivory colored rubbery plastic disk that mounts on the sander body, and it faces and rubs on that silvery disk to control / slow it down.

I order mine off ereplacementparts dot com.

Old 07-19-12, 03:03 PM
Funny. Since the original banter of posts, I was at a clients house to do some work, and it is an older log home with a deck. Paint guy helpers were there sanding the logs and the deck with ROS. They were laying on them. I needed to sand one piece of wood, and asked the painter guy if I could borrow one of the 6 Ridgids he had laying on the porch. He told me they were all burned up. Of course I couldn't help but tell him why. He was pleasantly surprised after watching his helpers. Oh, the words he used.

Old 07-19-12, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
ROFL! I use mine constantly and haven't burned one up yet... I actually have 3 of the same model.... well 2. One I gave to my dad when I got a new one. I got it free with the purchase of a Dewalt miter saw (that one stays in my work truck), and the other is the one that goes in the work van. They get used so much that I've worn through several of those pads... usually the hooks wear out around the edges first, but I have seen the aluminum on top wear through too, just like doc said. I keep an extra pad on hand at all times... in fact I have one here in the office desk right now!

Funny when you see guys laying on the sander wearing themselves out like that. If they want to sand more aggressively maybe they should use a larger grit? LOL

Old 07-19-12, 03:31 PM
Or a belt sander I've got a Milwaukee hook and loop and have been using it constantly the past few weeks building a law library for an attorney who is moving into the area eventually. It is their summer getaway place, now. Light and easy. Mostly 220 for us.

Old 07-20-12, 02:36 AM
D
doc
yeah, I think I lean on mine pretty heavy especially when I was sanding my deck.

Looks like the pad is going to be around $18. Is the CFS called a "brake" on the parts diagrams? I think I see which part it is on mine - its the only white/ivory part in there, only about an inch or inch and a half in diameter?

Old 07-20-12, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, the brake. It's part #26 on my model. Guess I've always called it by the wrong name! It's actually about 3" wide... not quite as big as the top of your orbital pad.

Old 07-20-12, 05:40 AM
D
doc
Oh, THAT part. I have a different model (D26451) and on mine its black - has two marks that align it in the right position. No screws just sits down.

That one's pretty cheap - good!

This will be MUCH cheaper than buying a new sander.

Old 07-20-12, 01:53 PM
D
Some of the best advice I received in school was to let the sander do the work. It really makes a lot of sense. It is a machine and that's the point. So I do less work. You should have firm pressure on the sander and nothing more. And you should move it around slowly. Moving it back and forth quickly won't make the sander work faster, but just wear you out sooner. I was also told to keep the paper sharp. Using dull paper won't get you anywhere fast and doesn't do a good job sanding.

Old 07-20-12, 02:36 PM
D
doc
Yeah, I imagine I'm like lots of other guys - I know all of this, but after sanding for a while I get tired, impatient, and I know there's a beer waiting when I'm done. If I can push down harder on the sander and get done faster so what........ Then, of course, I end up buying replacement parts sooner than I should have to.