Cleaning Oak Kitchen Cabinets

Old 10-14-10, 11:01 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Oak Kitchen Cabinets

I am looking for a way to clean my oak kitchen cabinets without taking the finish off. I have used soap and water and the finish comes off. I'm even wondering if Googone would work. It's mostly around the handles because people seem to use their hands to open the drawers instead of the handles.

What's the easiest and most effecient way to do this?

Old 10-14-10, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Are you sure the finish is coming off...or is it just areas that were dirty from skin oil, which probably softened the finish over time. Try the back of a door or an area covered by the door that doesn't get touched.

Almost any typical general purpose cleaner, like 409, should clean them fine and not harm the finish. I use a dilute solution of KrudKutter for almost all cleaning and it's never harmed anything.

Old 10-14-10, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Ya, even mineral spirits shouldn't remove the finish. If the finish is indeed coming off - it's not any good and needs to be redone.

Old 10-14-10, 06:51 PM
D
What is important is the type of finish. If it is a modern spray on laquer or urethane, what you guys say would be true. If it is something like oil or shellac, there could be problems with modern cleaners and any type of thinner used on it.

Old 10-15-10, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
There shouldn't be any problems with cleaning oil base varnish or poly. Shellac can be dissolved with denature alcohol. Don't remember if I've ever cleaned up a shellac based finished other than to recoat with poly/varnish or primer and paint.

Old 10-18-10, 12:12 AM
F
Don't know if this will help, but I've used Pledge Orange Oil to clean an antique piano and a dining table with good results. IMO, soap and water would damage the finish.

Pledge Revitalizing Oil with Natural Orange Oil

Old 10-18-10, 05:12 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I will try TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) or even white vinegar dilluted in water (half and half)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: