Framing skylight (splayed shaft) - Headers at an angle?

Old 10-15-10, 07:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing skylight (splayed shaft) - Headers at an angle?

I'm going to splay my skylight shaft front/back (not sides). Shaft will extend from kitchen ceiling through unfinished attic to roof.

3 questions (top header refers to the one closest to ridge board in gable roof, bottom header is closest to gutter)

1. Top header will be perpendicular to cut rafter. Do I then need to "angle" the corresponding header between the joists so that the drywall will go straight from roof to ceiling? Or do I keep the joist headers vertical and just have the drywall go straight at that point? OR do I just add shims between drywall & vertical joist headers so the drywall can still (I would bevel any headers so they are flush with the joists/rafters assuming angled headers...)

2. Same goes for bottom header, can I angle that however I want to make the splay larger/smaller? Then does the corresponding joist header need to be angled to have straight drywall?

3. If I DO angle the headers, does the load-spreading ability of my doubled headers get affected if they are installed at an angle versus being installed perpendicular to the rafters/joists? I obviously can't use joist hangers if the headers are angled, right?

Old 10-15-10, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Are we on the same skylight???? Or is this a different one?

Old 10-21-10, 06:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Same skylight, but I saw in various pictures the answer to my question. Basically I'll bevel/angle the top headers (the bottom header on the rafter will be perpendicular) so I can get the correct splay. Then the joist headers will just be perpendicular to the joists, not angled at all. Then to make the drywall straight, you just angle the 2x4's and instead of having them rest ON the joist headers which would cause the drywall to have a joint at that point....you have them go on the INSIDE of the joist headers to the top of the ceiling below so the drywall can go straight from the roof to the ceiling below, here's a pic:

Alternate Photo 2

I bought larger sized headers (2x8 instead of 2x6) for the angled/beveled headers so they match up to the rafters perfectly after angling & beveling them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: