Compressor Choices

Old 01-10-11, 12:33 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor Choices

Hi , I need to find a compressor that is large enough to handle a flooring nailer for my hardwood reno. I think the nailer requires a min. of 6.5 CFM at 90 lbs. Any suggestions and recommendations? Has anyone used an Omega brand of compressor?

Thanks

kilowatt56

Old 01-10-11, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most any pancake or hotdog compressor will handle the demands of a flooring nailer. You won't be running it out of air. I use a Ridgid double hot dog on all my stuff, framing, finish, flooring, etc. I don't use contact triggers, so my air consumption is less than the free for all guys that waste nails. Never used the Omega brand.

Old 01-10-11, 05:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
But before you purchase a compressor, evaluate any future needs you might have for one. As noted a small compressor should work fine for nail guns and airing up tires but they won't power sanders or paint guns. I don't know how well they work with impacts and such.

Old 01-11-11, 05:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Constant use appliances like sanders take a lot of air. In theory, an impact wrench does as well but I typically only use mine for a few seconds before the compressor gets a few seconds to catch up, so I get by on a compressor which puts out less air than the wrench says it needs. Nailers typically are one of the lowest draws on a compressor and allow you to get by with most compressors - my biggest concern would be the pressure at which the compressor cycles. I had one which cycled at 80 psi (also was not adjustable) when I like to have it set at 90 - I got rid of it because it would leave nails proud.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: