mixing trim finishes-painted and stained

Old 02-15-11, 10:24 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mixing trim finishes-painted and stained

about to start trimming out my addition. I had planned on using solid wood 6 panel doors. to show the beauty of real wood, was planning to stain. if I do, am I pretty much committed to staining the jamb and casing? and then what about the baseboard molding? for my master bedroom, maybe would want stained trim throughout. but in hallway maybe just painted white. how would you transition this? just wanted some quidelines on mixing paint and strain in trim and doors.

Old 02-16-11, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
IMO the woodwork looks best when it's consistent thru the whole house [or section]

Over the years I've painted/stained homes in all kinds of different configurations. I've done houses where it all stained, just certain rooms, just the doors and even for one builder all the woodwork but the doors [masonite] painted.

If you want to transition from paint to stain, it's best to change out at the door. Basically with the door shut, everything you see in the painted room/hallway would paint, what you see in the stained room would stain.

Old 02-16-11, 06:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think it can look just fine with the trim painted and the door stained. Here is on old picture from before we bought our house of our doors: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drooplu...7625127018516/ They look much better with the wall painted a color.

For making a transition from a room with the jambs painted and one without them painted, make it on the door stop. If the door opens into the bedroom and the hall is painted jambs, paint the flat of the door stop and then everything behind that would be stained. Basically it's what is visible when the door is closed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: