too deep to fill in with silicone

Old 03-05-11, 02:54 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
too deep to fill in with silicone

Hi im trying to fill in these gaps using white silicone, but the issue here is that the gap is very deep. How will i use the apropriate amount of silicone to make this fill?
With my little knowledge i suppose that there should be someway so that the silicone when applied, finds an obsticle and stops from flowing deep in the gap, but i have no idea what this obsticle would be

Old 03-05-11, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
News paper, paper towel.

Mike NJ

Old 03-05-11, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I'm not even sure what gap you mean? They make foam backer rod that can be pressed into a joint.

Old 03-05-11, 03:04 PM
Z
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
News paper, paper towel.

Mike NJ
thanx for the suggestions my friend but to be honest im not to fond of using those because this will be in my bathroom where humidity might have an effect on the materials you suggest, what do you think?

Old 03-05-11, 03:07 PM
Z
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I'm not even sure what gap you mean? They make foam backer rod that can be pressed into a joint.
1. im talking about the the gap between the tiles and the wooden cabinet sides
2. what do you mean about "foam baker rod"?

Old 03-05-11, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Once the silicone is there then you should not have an issue. Silicone will shrink also. A backsplash is the way to go, but looks like you have a lid there.

If it were my bath I would not like a big gap period. It means it was not fitted correctly. A filler strip would be the correct way befor the cabinets were fitted.

Fillers

Mike NJ

Old 03-05-11, 03:19 PM
Z
Once the silicone is there then you should not have an issue. Silicone will shrink also. A backsplash is the way to go, but looks like you have a lid there.
1. if it does shrink, how will i face this issue?
2. what is a backsplash?

but looks like you have a lid there.
what lid are you refering to?

If it were my bath I would not like a big gap period. It means it was not fitted correctly. A filler strip would be the correct way befor the cabinets were fitted.
a filler strip???

Old 03-05-11, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is the left picture sideways? We can tell if that is a lid or it is a door turned on its side. If that gap is above the cabinet, let us know so we can turn our computers sideways.
Silicone is not your friend in this instance. The gap is too wide. On the right picture what are the two holes in the countertop for? Will they be covered? A backsplash is a 3 1/2" or so high piece of the same materials the countertop is made of placed horizontally to cover irregularities in the countertop.
A filler strip is a piece of the same wood the cabinet is made from, cut to fit in the gap. Yours is narrow, so don't cut your finger.

Old 03-05-11, 04:38 PM
Z
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Is the left picture sideways? We can tell if that is a lid or it is a door turned on its side. If that gap is above the cabinet, let us know so we can turn our computers sideways.
Silicone is not your friend in this instance. The gap is too wide. On the right picture what are the two holes in the countertop for? Will they be covered? A backsplash is a 3 1/2" or so high piece of the same materials the countertop is made of placed horizontally to cover irregularities in the countertop.
A filler strip is a piece of the same wood the cabinet is made from, cut to fit in the gap. Yours is narrow, so don't cut your finger.
- The pictures are not turned in any way, regarding the left pic the lid just opens on top
- Those two holes are screws that are joining the side and top wood panel and yes they will be covered by iron putty and then the whole cabinet will be painted with white lache
- Perhaps i can make a rod out of silicone and place/squeeze it on the sides so they wiil block the silicone i will try to mount!

Old 03-05-11, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
1. if it does shrink, how will i face this issue?
recaulk after it shrinks and drys.

2. what is a backsplash?
Its a section material that goes around the top of the vanity, or whatever. Hides gaps and prevents splashes from going directly on wall board.

Ex:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS_ryn...397483/**http%

what lid are you refering to?
Your first pic shows some kind of lid that lifts. You would not be able to put a back splash there.

a filler strip???
This guy had a big gap and did notknow how to fill it. He used a filler strip along the wall. Will work for top portion also.

http://forum.doityourself.com/design...ink-issue.html

Mike NJ

Old 03-05-11, 07:03 PM
Backer rod and a good paintable caulk. Silicone is not paintable.

Old 03-05-11, 11:46 PM
Z
Its a section material that goes around the top of the vanity, or whatever. Hides gaps and prevents splashes from going directly on wall board.

Ex:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS_ryn...397483/**http%
I cannot see the pic, can you attach it in post?

Old 03-05-11, 11:49 PM
Z
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Backer rod and a good paintable caulk. Silicone is not paintable.
if i remember correctly, there is a certain white silicone type that can be paintable

Old 03-06-11, 05:05 AM
Pure silicone is not paintable. You should look on the tube to see if it is paintable before applying it.

Old 03-06-11, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
"there is a certain white silicone type that can be paintable"

You're probably thinking of 'siliconized acrylic latex caulking" which is paintable. All of the better latex caulkings will be of this type.

Old 03-06-11, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Phenoseal is what all plumbers use.

Phenoseal Products

Mike NJ

Old 03-06-11, 08:48 AM
Z
actually why are we talking about paint the silicone? im not interested in painting it, i wanted it to be white so white it is anyway

Old 03-06-11, 10:49 AM
White isn't always "white". I know you are painting the surface, but you will need to carry that paint over onto the caulk to make a sharp line of demarkation between it and the wall or tile.

Old 03-06-11, 12:36 PM
Z
yes you are right but in my case... wall tiles are ice white, silicone is white and cabinet is lache white, so now that i think of it maybe its not nice to have all those whites next to each other, maybe i shouldnt seal the gap, as soon as im ready with mounting the cabinet ill post in photos so youll know what i mean
thanx for the help everyone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: