Filler recommendations for wood floor

Old 04-10-11, 09:53 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filler recommendations for wood floor

Hi,
I am working to repair a wood foor in my kitchen. There were some spots where the previous owner had added on and filled 1/4 inch gaps in the wood with some type of wood filler. The gaps are several feet long. They have now started breaking apart and the filler is coming loose and needs to be replaced.

My dilemma is I'm not sure what type of filler to use. I've heard some say to use a non-hardening filler to allow for the shrinking and expanding, but this doesn't seem appropriate - just doesn't seem right to leave a "soft" joint of that size in a high traffic area. I've tried a couple of "stainable" wood fillers from Minwax, but there consistency, while solid, doesn't seem quite right either.

Whatever the previous owner used, it held up for many years and I hadn't even noticed it was a "fill" until it started to break loose. I'm just looking for any recommendations from folks on what would be a good product for this. If you can name specific brands/types that would be great.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-11, 05:19 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
No filler should ever be used on a hard wood floor for several reasons.
One it shows up.
2, As the floor tryes to expand and contract it will distroy the filler and will end up trying to lift the flooring or crush the wood fibers if it does not have room to expand.
The floor was installed wrong or the house is to dry causing the wood to shrink.
Buy a cheap humidistat, it should be about 45% humidity in a home.
To dry then run a humidifier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: