New Base for Undersink Kitchen Cabinet

Old 07-17-11, 07:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 7
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Base for Undersink Kitchen Cabinet

Just finished tearing out the rotted particle board base of the undersink cabinet in the kitchen, after 47 years it finally became too pitted and soiled due to water damage and such. My question is, what kind of material is commonly being used these days instead of particle board, OR is particle board still the base of choice. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Old 07-17-11, 08:02 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,319
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Some cabinets are still particle board. Others are melamine, plywood, or MDF. Under a sink, it's often wise to install something that can stand up to an occasional leak. Sometimes a piece of laminate or FRP can be applied to the base of the cabinet, and if the edges are siliconed it becomes a little more water resistant. Then it won't matter what the material is, if it never gets wet.
Old 07-18-11, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,816
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I've just used plywood, primed, painted and caulked around the edges.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: