How to install granite bathroom vanity top ?

Old 08-20-11, 07:23 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install granite bathroom vanity top ?

Hi, I have a single sink granite bathroom vanity top I need to install.

How do I attach it to the cabinet?

Old 08-20-11, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty sure you just use dabs of silicone adhesive.

Hmmm...or is it some other type? Seems like the solvents can bleed thru? Or was that from plumbers putty?

Crud...time for coffee I guess. I know it's just adhesive...but now can't remember the type.

Old 08-20-11, 11:53 AM
C
Set the top in place on the cabinet, then run a bead of clear silicone around the perimeter on the inside of the cabinet. It doesn't need to be 100% continuous, just along the ends & front. If it's ever necessary to remove the top, just cut the silicone with a utility knife & it's free. The dabs of silicone GG mentioned is for solid surface tops.

Old 08-21-11, 06:41 AM
C
Thanks... turns out there's a back splash piece as well - do I run a small bead along the top next to the wall, and then put the back splash piece down on that to keep it watertight? I assume I glue the back splash to the wall using some sort of industrial adhesive?

Last edited by craftydad; 08-21-11 at 06:43 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-21-11, 08:50 PM
C
Clean the back top of the countertop & bottom of the backsplash with denatured alcohol. Let it dry, then run a bead of silicone full length of the countertop at about 1/2" from the wall. Make it thick enough so that when you set the backsplash in it the silicone will squeeze out. Push the splash down & hold it in place a few minutes to force excess silicone out. Then use a putty knife to pick up the silicone that's squeezed out. Clean up the smears immediately with a paper towel folded 5 times and saturated with alcohol. No silicone or adhesive is needed behind the splash, but you can seal the top & ends with a paintable caulk if the wall behind it is painted, or silicone if it's not. Good luck

Old 08-26-11, 04:15 PM
Cool

craftydad, as far as your second question- yes, glue the back splash to the wall using a brand of industrial adhesive. good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: