Formica top lifting

Old 12-14-11, 04:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Formica top lifting

Hello,

My kitchen formica top is lifting at different areas. I used contact cement and clamped it down, it lifted again. The area it lifted is at the edge about 4-5 inches. What caused this and how can I keep it sealed down?

Old 12-14-11, 09:20 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Could be moisture getting in their, or you used the wrong kind of contact cement. If you used non-flammable, try using flammable as it holds up better if there is any heat nearby at all. Contact cement is the correct adhesive for Formica, but if all else fails there are more than a few people who would use a polyurethane based constructive adhesive like liquid nails or PL.

Old 12-15-11, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are you allowing both segments of the contact cement to completely dry before you try putting them together. That's a must. You probably have too much old dried cement in the void to allow for a good adhesion. Maybe you could post a few pictures (not closeups) of the countertop so we could see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-22-11, 05:25 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chandler is right. Try to get any old dried glue out first.

Use something like pencils to to keep the formica from coming down on the counter, then put brush contact cement on the underside of the formica AND on the wood counter side. It may be tough to brush in there but do your best.

Allow to tack dry then pull the pencils out and continually press it together awhile.

Old 12-23-11, 07:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would also roll it out after you put the two surfaces back together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: