Can i stain caulk?

Old 03-14-12, 11:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can i stain caulk?

I recently installed some hemlock trim with the full intent of staining it to match the flooring, but then i caulked the gaps against the floor , wall and 45's, can i stain Alex painters acrylic latex caulk? its white
Thanks
strugles

Old 03-14-12, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Nope....won't work. You might be able to use something like a stain pen to put a top layer on ...but it would rub right off with any bumps.

I'd probably try to get a latex paint in a compatible color and just try that.

Old 03-14-12, 01:31 PM
P
dang, well thats what i will do then, get a paint that matches the flooring, thank you very much!

Old 03-14-12, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Wait....you installed all the trim w/o staining it first? Uh...thats not really the way its done unless you are painting. Even then it is often primed and painted with at least one topcoat before install.

Old 03-14-12, 02:32 PM
P
is there such a thing as a stainable caulk? or maybe i should have used woodfiller...... hmmmm?

Old 03-14-12, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
No...no stainable caulk that I know of. And wood filler doesn't work well in joints that may expand or contract.

The best you can do is get a good joint and then use a caulk that is close to the color of the trim. Not as vital with paint of course...but with stained trim you need to cope inside corners and really tie outside corners or 45's on casing together. On the last 2, I really anchor the corners and leave a little room between fasteners on the rest of it to allow for expansion/contraction. It's normally not that bad in a controlled environment like a house.

Old 03-14-12, 03:01 PM
P
thank you very much, youve been very helpfull!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: