Oak stairs- How to cut

Old 08-10-12, 06:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oak stairs- How to cut

I have a set of oak stairs leading from one floor to the other (only 3 steps- it's a split level)- The stairs are currently like 4' wide. I want to make them narrower to gain some room for other changes in the floorplan- I want to cut like 6" off the stairs (There will be a partition wall going in on one side of the stairs (there is nothing there now)- What is best way to cut thru the oak stairs soas to not ruin them? I'm guessing use a circular saw with a specific blade and make straight cut- Any other advice?

Old 08-10-12, 06:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Using masking tape and then a fine tooth blade to cut the oak thru the tape should help BUT you can't just cut off 6" of the stairs. You'll likely need to tear them completely out and the rebuild the supports [stringers] to fit the new dimensions.

Old 08-10-12, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would remove the stair treads and risers completely, do your framing, and whatever else you are doing in the area, then cut the treads and risers in a controlled atmosphere (radial arm or sliding miter) to the proper angle (believe me, there will me one) and reinstall them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: