Re-laminate small built in counter top?

Old 08-13-12, 04:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Re-laminate small built in counter top?

I have a small countertop in a pass thru window between the kitchen and living room. It looks like a 2" slab of wood that was grown in place. lol. But in actuality it is made of particle board or similar and was orginally covered in that old school wood look laminate. That has since chipped and broken off.

I need to recover it and I assume that re-laminating it will be easiest. They still sell the laminate product at menards.

Can anyone clue me in as to how I go about this? The top is small, maybe 30" wide and 14" deep with 2" edges to cover.
Best glue?
Best way to cut?
Best method to apply?

Any other ideas to re-cover this thing?

Old 08-13-12, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Does both edges curve, or are they flat? If curved, it may be more than a diy project. Have you considered installing another countertop that would compliment the rest of the area, like butcherblock or one of the stone tops?

Old 08-13-12, 01:25 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Laminate is glued with a contact cement. You only get ONE chance with contact cement so for DIY it is best if you can make the laminate piece a bit oversized on all four sides and then trim after installation. Since this is a pass-through I suspect that the left-right sides are abutting a vertical so you will only have the two sides of the pass-through to be able to trim after installation.

A picture may help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: